Sterling

2

Replies

  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    because he paid $12 million for them in 1981......their worth is estimated at $575 million, and a selling price could be much more; the last team sold went for over 35% of its estimated worth....i know the clippers profited $15 million last year, and have made money at least every year since '99


    he bought in during a time when the NBA couldn't even hope to get prime time playoff games on network TV.....and he's selling while it is more or less at its peak (i'd argue it is on the down side, but NBA financials might say different).....even if by force, he's getting out at the ideal time, and he stands to make huge money
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,174 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    because he paid $12 million for them in 1981......their worth is estimated at $575 million, and a selling price could be much more; the last team sold went for over 35% of its estimated worth....i know the clippers profited $15 million last year, and have made money at least every year since '99


    he bought in during a time when the NBA couldn't even hope to get prime time playoff games on network TV.....and he's selling while it is more or less at its peak (i'd argue it is on the down side, but NBA financials might say different).....even if by force, he's getting out at the ideal time, and he stands to make huge money

    And this along with maybe a few other reasons is why I will never be a billionaire. Who's the **** now......DOH
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Is Simmons still covering Clippers? That might be worth a read.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    tim_s wrote: »

    he bought in during a time when the NBA couldn't even hope to get prime time playoff games on network TV.

    Which reminds me...We need to bring back the "3 to make 2."
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Watch it, mister!


    Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

    How many losing seasons since Sister Sledge had a hit? :)
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    And in the things that make the mind boggle category. The winner is:

    Sterling winning the NAACP Life Time Achievement Award in 2009.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    a) i guarantee he donated a bunch of money

    b) he hired elgin baylor back when it was a big deal to even interview a black coach
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Hey, Yasser Arafat got a Nobel.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Free Pete Rose.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,174 Senior Member
    [HTML][/HTML]Add this to the file for stupid $hit people are doing in reaction to Sterling...

    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/ucla-rejects-3m-gift-from-donald-sterling-for-kidney-research/

    Black people have a 4x rate of kidney failure than whites.
    http://nkdep.nih.gov/learn/are-you-at-risk/race-ethnicity.shtml

    As a kidney recipient I find this decision to be beyond moronic.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Bak4Mor wrote: »
    Is Simmons still covering Clippers? That might be worth a read.

    In a roundabout way. He still has season tickets so he does watch them more than most other teams though.

    The problem though is Simmons doesn't write much anymore. So unless you listen to his podcasts (an I do only when he has a guest I was to listen to) then you wouldn't hear much from him about the Clippers.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    In a roundabout way. He still has season tickets so he does watch them more than most other teams though.

    The problem though is Simmons doesn't write much anymore. So unless you listen to his podcasts (an I do only when he has a guest I was to listen to) then you wouldn't hear much from him about the Clippers.

    I did not know this. I quit following him when he moved West. He made me laugh quite a few times.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    jbilly wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]Add this to the file for stupid $hit people are doing in reaction to Sterling...

    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/ucla-rejects-3m-gift-from-donald-sterling-for-kidney-research/

    Black people have a 4x rate of kidney failure than whites.
    http://nkdep.nih.gov/learn/are-you-at-risk/race-ethnicity.shtml

    As a kidney recipient I find this decision to be beyond moronic.

    If you got an African American's kidney, you can now go to Clippers' Games!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,941 Senior Member
    Is a Don Sterling like a Hot Karl?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I mean if he doesn't like black people why on earth would he own an NBA team?

    Other people mentioned it... based on his past comments I don't think it's unreasonable to think he "owned" his players. He's been accused of saying he wants his teams comprised of poor black men from the south and run by a white head coach. His mistress is black/hispanic as well... it's analagous to saying plantation owners sleeping with their slaves or providing them food and shelter can't be racist.

    But there's also the fact that owning a professional sports team means entering a very exclusive club. At the time he was looking, the NBA was in a bit of disarray, so the teams were available to buy and relatively speaking pretty cheap (Sterling paid $12-17m... I've seen both numbers quoted). Maybe he also really likes basketball. I think a combination of all those things could explain why a bigot would buy a team in a league mostly comprised of black guys.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]Add this to the file for stupid $hit people are doing in reaction to Sterling...

    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/ucla-rejects-3m-gift-from-donald-sterling-for-kidney-research/

    Black people have a 4x rate of kidney failure than whites.
    http://nkdep.nih.gov/learn/are-you-at-risk/race-ethnicity.shtml

    As a kidney recipient I find this decision to be beyond moronic.

    Yeah I agree. Money is green. Just take it already.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    This message is hidden because saltydancindave is on your ignore list.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    What offends me, is that some dude says some stupid crap to a hooker in private, and she tells on him because she doesn't get a Mazarati, and everyone else is so offended that he said something offensive, therefore he must pay 2.5 million clams and sell his ownership in a basketball team. Where's the crime?

    Because he talked about black people. That's really become that toxic of a topic, hasn't it?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Those aren't the facts of what happened and he didn't get fined and likely have his team ownership revoked because "he talked about black people." White people outrage is cute though.

    Sponsers were pulling their sponserships (i.e. money). Players were threatening to walk off the court. These ultimately are the reasons why he got fined and likely will lose his team. Not because "he talked about black people".

    He's not free of consequences based on what he said. Nobody is.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Those aren't the facts of what happened and he didn't get fined and likely have his team ownership revoked because "he talked about black people." White people outrage is cute though.

    Sponsers were pulling their sponserships (i.e. money). Players were threatening to walk off the court. These ultimately are the reasons why he got fined and likely will lose his team. Not because "he talked about black people".

    He's not free of consequences based on what he said. Nobody is.

    I like my version better.

    I'm all for people suffering the consequences. My post was about white people outrage, like you said. Plus, Adam Silver ...... man. What a punchable face.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buffco wrote: »

    Because he talked about black people. That's really become that toxic of a topic, hasn't it?

    He said quite a bit more, and in addition he has a history of running afoul of landlord-tenant laws that protect minorities. I reviewed the complaints and they seem credible. But yes, this topic is deadly, the equivalent of heresy in an earlier age.

    I think its incumbent upon us to distinguish between racists (this guy) and people who are merely seen as insensitive to minority issues. Because those aren't the same thing
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    But yes, this topic is deadly, the equivalent of heresy in an earlier age.

    I think its incumbent upon us to distinguish between racists (this guy) and people who are merely seen as insensitive to minority issues. Because those aren't the same thing

    Yeah. Agree wholeheartedly.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buffco wrote: »
    Plus, Adam Silver ...... man. What a punchable face.


    Hey! Watch what you say about Jewish people there, Ginger Goy.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buffco wrote: »
    Plus, Adam Silver ...... man. What a punchable face.


    Hey! Watch what you say about Jewish people there, Ginger Goy.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    He said quite a bit more, and in addition he has a history of running afoul of landlord-tenant laws that protect minorities. I reviewed the complaints and they seem credible. But yes, this topic is deadly, the equivalent of heresy in an earlier age.

    I think its incumbent upon us to distinguish between racists (this guy) and people who are merely seen as insensitive to minority issues. Because those aren't the same thing

    i agree. There are lots of ignorant people with racist beliefs out there, perhaps always will be. Most of them do no actual physical harm while others cause real and substantial pain. We need to make sure we don't treat these two different types of people the same. Bundy, as one example is just an old ignorant man with little real impact on people. Sterling is a bit different.... as a landlord especially much more so than an NBA owner.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Hey! Watch what you say about Jewish people there, Ginger Goy.

    Dude. Come on. Look at his face. You know he was the frequent receiver of wedgies and pantsing in school.

    But I love Jewish people.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    He grew up in Rye, NY. Everybody is geeky and Jewish.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    He grew up in Rye, NY. Everybody is geeky and Jewish.

    But they have have a pretty nice amusement park on the Sound.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,174 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Adam Silver ...... man. What a punchable face.

    Just think how much more punchable he would look if he were a ginger.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    What a punchable face.

    I can see your point.

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu2RRZnk8d005_KqkX0p4dtkMx2j1OFmV7WGMJvS6XxrEDjyYSlA
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.