Sterling

Adam Silver announces Sterling will be banned from the Clippers for Life and fine of $2.5 million. Will ask the owners to force Sterling to sell (needs 3/4s of the 30 ownership group).

I'm not quite sure how if he doesn't sell that Sterling will be banned. Who makes the decision to sign players, and hire/fire? The NBA? (like with the Expos/Nationals?).

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    They'll have his picture on a clipboard at the gate.
    So Silver was asked what would happen if he didn't get 3/4s. His answer was that he was sure he would get it.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    But what about the First Amendment!
    - People who don't understand the First Amendment
    Also, if you're a monkeywrencher like me... you have to hope the Clippers win the title and that Sterling tries to sneak onto the podium to grab the trophy.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    But what about the First Amendment!
    - People who don't understand the First Amendment

Fox News will explain it to everyone.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,239 Senior Member
    2.5 MILLION? Wow.
    Buffco wrote: »
    2.5 MILLION? Wow.

Sterling is worth I think just shy of $2 billion. The fine is nothing to him.

Add in that the Clippers could conceivably be worth a billion (he purchased the team for less than $20million), none of this is about the money.
    It's not about whether or not he can afford it. It's just.......an arbitrary, exorbitant amount for talking about black people.

By the way, I was so impressed by Adam Silver's ...... domineering presence, I made the pic below.

adam_silver_lg1_zpsa1348705.jpg
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    They'll have his picture on a clipboard at the gate.

As long as it's a Polaroid, I'm OK with this.
    Buffco wrote: »
    It's not about whether or not he can afford it. It's just.......an arbitrary, exorbitant amount for talking about black people.

It's not actually arbitrary... it's the maximum fine allowed under the NBA constitution. And I don't think $2.5m is exorbitant when talking about collecting it from billionaires owners.

It's also entirely possibly that the punishment was extreme to make up for Sterling's past sins (he should have been suspended/fined long ago). The NBA doesn't need this guy, his presence can actually hurt the league, and there's a process to jettison him (which Sterling agreed to when he bought the team). Sterling has been "stealing" money from the league for decades. F him.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,570 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Adam Silver announces Sterling will be banned from the Clippers for Life and fine of $2.5 million. Will ask the owners to force Sterling to sell (needs 3/4s of the 30 ownership group).

I'm not quite sure how if he doesn't sell that Sterling will be banned. Who makes the decision to sign players, and hire/fire? The NBA? (like with the Expos/Nationals?).

It would probably work the same way it did for the Yankees when Steinbrenner was banned.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    It would probably work the same way it did for the Yankees when Steinbrenner was banned.

How'd that work, Chris?

Meanwhile the Clipper organization is sending out tweets applauding the punishment. How does this happen exactly?

Sterling was a bad guy, bad owner for many years. If this were 4 or 5 years ago, you could make the case for the Clippers being the worst franchise in the history of American professional sports.

Yeah, I think the league steps in runs the team (like they did for New Orleans a year or two ago) until a new buyer is found. I"m not sure if Donald is the sole owner... or the team is owned by his family. So conceivably, a family member (like his wife... who's suing the mistress who started all this) could also step into Donald's place.

The big difference between this and Steinbrenner's saga is that in the NBA there's a method to force another owner to sell their team... but I don't think the same type of thing exists in MLB. Marge Schott, former owner of the Reds, was forced to cede control of the team... but I don't think she was forced to sell the team (after she was ousted running the team, she was still a minority owner).
    How'd that work, Chris?

A minority partner stepped in to run the team. Steinbrenner remained the majority owner, but couldn't do anything related to the team.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there's a partnership that owns the clippers. It's just Donald (or the Sterling Family). So I think the NBA steps in.
    If this were 4 or 5 years ago, you could make the case for the Clippers being the worst franchise in the history of American professional sports.

I'm not sure the past few years of success wipes away that distinction just yet.
    I think Steinbrenner's son was one of those minority partners or at least he ran the day to day.

Pretty sure they will get those 3/4's of owners though. Which brings the question, how many teams can Magic Johnson own?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    In Sterling's defense, he gave us this gem in a deposition a while ago:

donaldsterlngstranscript3242.jpg
    I think Steinbrenner's son was one of those minority partners or at least he ran the day to day.

Pretty sure they will get those 3/4's of owners though. Which brings the question, how many teams can Magic Johnson own?

The sons took over a few years ago when George's health deteriorated. I don't think they ran the team when he was suspended in the 90's.

And yes, the scuttlebutt is that the owners will easily get the 3/4ths vote to force Sterling to sell.
    In Sterling's defense, he gave us this gem in a deposition a while ago:

donaldsterlngstranscript3242.jpg

OMG that is so funny!!
    OMG that is so funny!!

Yep. I larfed.

I kinda like Sterling now. He's a honey badger.
    I'm not sure the past few years of success wipes away that distinction just yet.

The Pirates suck again so it might be a toss-up.

The Clippers were so bad for so long, that the Cubs weren't even in the discussion. Give us another ten years.
    Some 80 year old guy is with a 20 something hottie...does he think, "she really digs me?" Or does he go March Brown and realize it's about the money but not care?
    I feel bad for Mr Sterling. After feeding, housing, providing clothing, cars and other stuff for years it must have hurt like hell to have your plantation workers turn on you.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    To be fair to Sterling, he's kept a lot of players housed and clothed at a much greater level than they deserved for years. He's been running players out there for years that didn't deserve the minimum pay level in the Phillipines let alone the NBA. :)
    To be fair to Sterling, he's kept a lot of players housed and clothed at a much greater level than they deserved for years. He's been running players out there for years that didn't deserve the minimum pay level in the Phillipines let alone the NBA. :)

I know, he's been through hell.
    I bet Olden Polynice, Pooh Richardson and Malik Sealy still worship the ground he walks on.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Good god when does football season start.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member
    The Pirates suck again so it might be a toss-up.

Watch it, mister!

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Sterling isn't too bright. I mean if he doesn't like black people why on earth would he own an NBA team? Shouldn't that be the last sports franchise a racists would wat? I would have thought he'd been all over the NHL...maybe he coul buy the Penguins to make Shawn happy. :p
    I think this is as close as he could get to owning black people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.