SaltyDancinDave

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    How so? Was Hugo not a member of the Klan? In fact, would Hugo have ever been a U.S senator without the Klan? No. And he certainly wouldn't have been a supreme court justice, since FDR would have no reason to appoint someone who's law school was podunk U to the US supreme Court (though in fairness I must admit that credentialism didn't play as much of a role then as it does today).

Do not the actions taken in maturity provide a great contrast to the political cravenness of his youth?

Also, I'm not sure it is certain that Klan support won him the Senate seat, although he joined believing such support was necessary.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    BTW Stanford changed their name in the '70's so it was hardly "not a thing" when you were growing up. I remember having this discussion in the 6th grade.

To suggest that college students in the late 60s and early 70s reflected mainstream America at the time is a bit revisionist.

FWIW, this is from Stanford's website:

Stanford officially adopted the Indian nickname on Nov. 25, 1930 after a unanimous vote by the Executive Committee for the Associated Students. The Indian had long been considered the symbol of Stanford before the official vote, although its origins are only speculation.

The resolution that was passed read: "Whereas the Indian has long been unofficially recognized as the symbol of Stanford and its spirit, and whereas there has never been any official designation of a Stanford symbol, be it hereby resolved that the Executive Committee adopt the Indian as the symbol of Stanford."

Hell, in the 1930s (also when the Lone Ranger was created) there were still people alive who'd fought in the Indian Wars. Teams were named Redskins, Braves, Indians, Chiefs out of respect for the fighting abilities of the Sioux, the Comanche, the Apache, the Cherokee or whomever - not because it was some kind of slur.
    No Ron Paul is the guy that wants to lecture us on the constitution and genuinely believes black people to be inferior.

Is there a bridge called "The N****er Bridge?"

Ron Paul was fringe. Byrd was majority whip.
    Do we consider Byrd prejudiced against homosexuals?

From wiki: Byrd strongly opposed Clinton's 1993 efforts to allow gays to serve in the military and supported efforts to limit gay marriage. In 1996, before the passage of the Defense of Marriage Act, he said, "The drive for same-sex marriage is, in effect, an effort to make a sneak attack on society by encoding this aberrant behavior in legal form before society itself has decided it should be legal. [...] Let us defend the oldest institution, the institution of marriage between male and female as set forth in the Holy Bible."[63]

This was mainstream less than 20 years ago. Today it sounds like a joke. Not only do goal posts move, but it was Marshall who originally moved them.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,591 Senior Member
    Who gives a rat's **** about Robert Byrd? Hint, I never voted for him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    To suggest that college students in the late 60s and early 70s reflected mainstream America at the time is a bit revisionist.

FWIW, this is from Stanford's website:

Stanford officially adopted the Indian nickname on Nov. 25, 1930 after a unanimous vote by the Executive Committee for the Associated Students. The Indian had long been considered the symbol of Stanford before the official vote, although its origins are only speculation.

The resolution that was passed read: "Whereas the Indian has long been unofficially recognized as the symbol of Stanford and its spirit, and whereas there has never been any official designation of a Stanford symbol, be it hereby resolved that the Executive Committee adopt the Indian as the symbol of Stanford."

Hell, in the 1930s (also when the Lone Ranger was created) there were still people alive who'd fought in the Indian Wars. Teams were named Redskins, Braves, Indians, Chiefs out of respect for the fighting abilities of the Sioux, the Comanche, the Apache, the Cherokee or whomever - not because it was some kind of slur.

Yes but **** is was and always will be a racial slur. They might as well be named the Cleveland Coons.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,756 Senior Member
    I'm generally on your side of this, Chris. However, you have to do better than Joe the Plumber. He's irrelevant.
    So was Tarbaby a racial slur 20 years ago or is that a new thing?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I'm generally on your side of this, Chris. However, you have to do better than Joe the Plumber. He's irrelevant.

I deleted it. The problem with the goal post remark is that politicians actually have to try to disguise their racism now.

But tell me this is not racist or would not be considered such 40 years ago.
    Rush Limbaugh Accuses Michelle Obama Of “Uppityism”

After Michelle Obama was booed at a NASCAR event, Limbaugh defended the booers, saying that they booed her because she’s uppity.

Or is Rush Limbaugh irrelevant?
    I'm not buying Sherb' argument of relativistic racism, for lack of a better term. I will say that political correctness goes way too far at times.
    Chris,
    Others will disagree, but no, RL is not irrelevant at all.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Luckily we can all agree that our illustrious VP is irrelevant.
    The problem with Sherb, and it is documented here, that unless someone actually calls Obama the N word they are not racist.
    The problem with Sherb, and it is documented here, that unless someone actually calls Obama the N word they are not racist.

Going thing Harry didn't call him that.
    BTW you know who taught Paul Ryan to say Inner City when he means n*****rs? Frank Luntz.
    Didn't vote for Harry either and have said repeatedly he should be replaced as majority leader. But yeah I will admit that it was a racist remark. Will you admit the same about Paul Ryan or Rush Limbaugh?
    BTW you know who taught Paul Ryan to say Inner City when he means n*****rs? Frank Luntz.

Slanderous and vile, even by the Left's low standards.

This, by the way, is why I think the standard of proof for making an accusation of racism ought to be significantly higher than it obviously is. It shuts down debate. Kills it entirely. And now, instead of talking about poverty and public policy, we are talking about Ryan the racist.

Your mind is obviously made up, but you should really read the debate between Jonathan Chait, Ta Nehesi Coates , Ross Douthat and others on Ryan's comments. It took place over two weeks. Coates and Chait are both liberals and their take on this is a lot more involved, nuanced, and sophisticated than someone drunk on Kos and Jon Stewart.
    Seriously you are going to claim that there was nothing racist about what Paul Ryan said? I think that is vile.

Tell me why wasn't he talking about the welfare recipients in Appalachia?

If he did that instead of the Inner City, we could be talking about how cold hearted and out of touch with reality he was.
    Ugh. You know what I hate about these debates? I have to do research on my computer instead of my phone. But ok.

Back in a bit.
    Don't do any research. This has been the playbook since the 80's, I have lived through this debate. Everyone that is not an apologist knows what is meant by Inner City or Urban.

I get it, seeing racism for what it is makes you uncomfortable. Well no one promised you comfort.
    Slanderous and vile, even by the Left's low standards.

This, by the way, is why I think the standard of proof for making an accusation of racism ought to be significantly higher than it obviously is. It shuts down debate.

And raising the bar let's too many bigots off the hook.
    than someone drunk on Kos and Jon Stewart.

You know just once I would like you to consider that a person my age might actually have some wisdom and experience to bring to this discussion rather than treating me like some rube.

If he did that instead of the Inner City, we could be talking about how cold hearted and out of touch with reality he was.

ha. have to give it to you. Kudos.
    Klu Klux Klan Church State
    Constitution Lit On Fire
    Freedom Up In Smoke
    You know just once I would like you to consider that a person my age might actually have some wisdom and experience to bring to this discussion rather than treating me like some rube.

Of course you do. I've seen you bring it many times. So bring it. Don't recite Media Matters talking points.

This incident with Ryan fills me with despair. No wonder decent people have no stomach for public life. One would think the left would be grateful that the other side is attempting to deal with the problem, but no. The common understanding on the left is that the right acts in bad faith and employs "dog whistles" that signal to bigots what's really going on. This is no way to talk about public policy. We cannot even talk about poverty in this country without being accused of racism. The simple fact remains that the left has no answer for the intractable multigenerational poverty that exists in the inner city, except to cite racism. To even suggest that there may be variables independent of racism, like the marriage rate, government dependency, the breakdown of social norms, is to invite an accusation of racism and bigotry. This is the reason Charles Murray confined his latest study on poverty to whites. He didn't need or want the hassle. All of these problems exist to a greater or lesser degree in Appalachia too. But try to talk about poverty in the inner city, and suddenly its all a coded bat-signal for racists.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Haiku..

Gesundheit..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Here's what I don't get about the coded message accusation: why would Ryan do it? Why assume he had cynical motives? What would be his motivation for coming under attack, being forced to repent his heresy (always a sure sign that that the heretical belief has some merit), and be shouted down and accused of racism? Because if Comic's theory is right, and that this was all a cynical attempt to dog whistle racists, Ryan had to know what the result would be. Now he can't even talk about poverty. Debate over. Surely that wasn't his goal.

One of the contradictions of democracies, even those with very liberal formal constitutions, is that while almost anything can be said without fear of government reprisal, there's almost nothing that can be said about subjects where the debate is considered settled. Where the people rule, they set the terms of debate. Race is quickly becoming taboo, unless of course we express the prevailing conventional wisdom. Obviously meaningful public policy discussions are impossible in such a highly charged atmosphere. There's simply nothing to talk about. There's the right opinion, and that's all that can be discussed. Putting certain subjects out of bounds is not necessarily a bad thing when we are talking about incest or child abuse, but when we are talking about allocating resources, all voices have to be heard, and good faith has to be assumed. Without that, there's no point.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    To even suggest that there may be variables independent of racism, like the marriage rate, government dependency, the breakdown of social norms, is to invite an accusation of racism and bigotry.

I don't know enough about the Ryan speech to comment on it, but really Sherb, do you actually believe that "inner city" and to a lesser degree "urban" are not frequently used as code?

While true that the three factors you cite above are higher among blacks than among whites, few scholars would dispute that that is a lingering heritage of slavery. Slavery destroyed the concepts of stable marriage, family life and personal responsibility among enslaved blacks, and kept them uneducated and largely illiterate as well. The "great migration" brought millions of the children and grandchildren of former slaves to Northern cities. All this led to a continuing cycle of problems that help make black poverty and the resulting crime rate higher than for whites.

BTW - "Appalachia" is almost as much a code word as "inner city", conjuring up images of dangerously inbred hill billies living drunk and wanton in dilapidated cabins with old washing machines as lawn decor. Ever watch "Justified"?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Of course you do. I've seen you bring it many times. So bring it. Don't recite Media Matters talking points.

I did, you are just too blind by your own talking points to realize that this whole BS about Inner Cities is older than Media Matters. It is code that has existed since it was no longer acceptable to say "The trouble with the **** is...." I have been paying attention for 36 years, maybe you should listen to what I have to say.

Like I said I have experience. I have been there and I have seen this debate morph. It is all designed so that they can exploit the racist tendencies of their constituents without saying black. It has been part of the Republican party mantra since the invention of the southern strategy. If you have been where I have been, read what I have read and heard what I have heard you would not need Media Matters to explain it to you. This how Frank Luntz taught Newt Gingrich and Pat Buchanan to pretend they were not racists.

Gee do you think the reason for multi-generational poverty may have something to with the fact that African-Americans are incarcerated at higher rates than whites for the same crimes? That their schools have been underfunded for generations or the fact that blacks that served their country in WWII were institutionally excluded from participating in GI loans, thereby preventing them from joining their fellow veterans in the middle class? You act like racism has been gone for generations. Well it hasn't, not by a long shot. You forget that I was 9 when MLK was shot. Which means my generation witnessed the bombing of churches, segregation and denial of basic government services their white counterparts were receiving. I may be old, but I am not old enough for you to claim that generations of blacks and latinos grew up without a shred of racial bias impacting their lives and keeping them in poverty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans_and_the_G.I._Bill

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/44333/276173994.pdf

http://www.understandingrace.org/history/society/post_war_economic_boom.html

http://dev.law.fsu.edu/journals/landuse/Vol141/seit.htm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.