If Corporations are people...

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    What you and Joe seem to forget or are ignoring is that the exchange was not the only vehicle by which people are able to get insurance for the first time. There is also the medicaid expansion. Now imagine the millions of people that are pissed off that they are not getting that insurance because of their teabillie governors. Like I said if Obama is able to raise his approval rating by August the Republicans are toast and the turtle will be retiring.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    So? How much of this has to do with the expansion of Medicaid (which could have been accomplished without the ACA and its myriad problems)? My guess, probably nearly all, but I'll leave it to you.

Edit to note again, Medicaid expansion could have been achieved in any number of ways. While I can't speak to Joe, I can say that, "no I haven't forgotten about it."

Oh yeah, if your aunt had balls....
    The point of this discussion, if you can remember that far back, was my statement that there will be millions of people that will be getting insurance for the first time.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    If you want to get semantical, I'll concede but the full quote was:

"As opposed to millions who are getting insurance for the first time or those that are no longer being held hostage by their employers because of pre-existing conditions and it is lower than $1.2 billion."

This would seem to indicate a discussion about the exchanges. It's the ACA that changed, not Medicaid.
    Really? Where did I say "through the exchange?" Did you assume? You know what happens when you assume?

And Medicaid did change. It was expanded to cover more people.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,184 Senior Member
    Like I said if Obama is able to raise his approval rating by August the Republicans are toast and the turtle will be retiring.

So why does he need to raise his approval rating?

What caused it to plummet?

I haven't ignored nor forgotten about medicaid expansion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Really? Where did I say "through the exchange?" Did you assume? You know what happens when you assume?

And Medicaid did change. It was expanded to cover more people.

Were people on Medicaid held hostage by their employers because of pre-existing conditions?
    That sentence was a list not a single category.

"As opposed to millions who are getting insurance for the first time or those that are no longer being held hostage by their employers because of pre-existing conditions and it is lower than $1.2 billion."
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    I think it should have been named The Unaffordable Care Act, that's what it's all about. Wallets are gonna vote.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    That sentence was a list not a single category.

Whatever. You win the point.
    But corporations still are persons under the law.
    swizz wrote: »
    I think it should have been named The Unaffordable Care Act, that's what it's all about. Wallets are gonna vote.

I refer to it to clients as the Accessible Care Act. It creates access but does little to bring down the cost of insurance.
    swizz wrote: »

Yes.

http://www.californiahealthline.org/articles/2014/2/11/aca-coverage-unaffordable-for-millions-of-us-residents-experts-say

At 54 I could have gotten a silver plan for $50 per month. It would have brought it down for me.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    At 54 I could have gotten a silver plan for $50 per month. It would have brought it down for me.

I find that hard to believe, what is the copay.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

But I would have paid for it. But congratulations.
    It was an 80 20 plan with $150 deductible. Pretty decent for the price.
    Steven wrote: »
    But I would have paid for it. But congratulations.

Still affordable.
    Hey, if somebody else paid for my plan, I'd think it a great deal too.
    Still affordable.
    Like I said if Obama is able to raise his approval rating by August the Republicans are toast and the turtle will be retiring.

I haven't ignored nor forgotten about medicaid expansion.

Yes affordable to you, Chris.

But I'm sure you'll note that I wrote, "it creates access but does little to bring down the cost of insurance."

The cost of insurance didn't change, just who pays for it.

Not to get semantical.
    You are right. Let's just get rid of insurance. Single payer anyone?
    You'll get there. Just let this disaster play out for a few years.

The same reason why Firefly was cancelled. Lack of patience. Better question, why didn't Boehner trying to repeal Obamacare cause his approval to rise? Why did Romney lose an election where he made the repeal of Obamacare a central issue? People momentarily lost confidence, but it is on the uptick as is the approval rating of Obamacare. Like I said toast.
    but it is on the uptick

Say what?

Assuming "it" = Obama's approval rating, then this isn't the case.

Overall disapproval of the job Obama is doing ticked up to 59 percent — a record high for his presidency — in the poll (Associated Press) released Wednesday (yesterday).
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    You are right. Let's just get rid of insurance. Single payer anyone?

That is the end game, always has been.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Back to the original topic. Apparently there is this argument that if the Supreme Court finds for Hobby Lobby that it could effect whether or not you can sue the owner of a company for that company's bad actions. I wonder how valid that argument is, Sherb.
    Piercing the corporate veil? Yeah, that's an argument. But you would need BD or Pio to answer it as that's not really my area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.