Soft Hackles

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
Apply floatant?? Yea or Nay..

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    I've fished wet flies on top, so why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    Never.

If anything add a small dab of sink putty about a foot or so above the fly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    No ... let it do its own thing. Thant's how it was designed.
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Fishing up stream or down?

Down? No.

Upstream? Grease your tippet to about 6" from the fly.
    Always down and across.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Thanks all, pretty much what I thought..

Mike
    joekrz wrote: »
    Always down and across.

There's an argument to be made (I think Datus Proper made it) that "stiff" hackles should be fished down and across. Fished upstream, like Stewart's Spiders, soft hackles move and look alive. Fished down and across, the drag compresses the soft hackle, making it look like nothing.

On the other hand, stiff rooster hackle would still look alive even with drag at the end of the swing.

Just a theory.
    I was fishing a Cutthroat stream last year and the only thing that caught their interest was a soft hackle in the film. If it sunk they weren't interested.. I just ginked up the fly and it worked well, though seems to defeat the purpose of a soft hackle..

Mike
    Steven wrote: »
    There's an argument to be made (I think Datus Proper made it) that "stiff" hackles should be fished down and across. Fished upstream, like Stewart's Spiders, soft hackles move and look alive. Fished down and across, the drag compresses the soft hackle, making it look like nothing.

On the other hand, stiff rooster hackle would still look alive even with drag at the end of the swing.

Just a theory.

Down and across. Or more correctly...across and down.

Soft hackles imitate nymphs rising up from the bottom. Throwing them across from where you are standing and then throwing a mend in the line allows the soft hackle to sink. As it's swinging down, it keeps rising higher in the water column until eventually its dragging on the top. The fish will hit it at all points from beginning to end of drift, but 95% or more of the takes will be at the last end of the drift just before it hits the surface or right at the end of the drift when its dragging on top while your rod is pointed downstream.

If there is not enough room to drift across and down, because of narrow stream conditions, you can get the same effect while standing at the head of a riffle and throwing a parachute mend in the line and slowly dropping the rod tip (too fast will leave too much slack for trying to set the hook) until its pointed at the water.

Another spin on this is to trail a soft hackle behind your dry fly during a hatch. At the end of your drift (fishing downstream of course) when you have no more control over your dry fly, let it drag...you'll be amazed at the results of the trailing fly.

These methods will work well on the streams ricinus fishes. In SW WI these methods can be used on certain streams. but require more stealth and a longer cast so you don't spook the fish. I've employed downstream soft hackle fishing many times on the Big Green and the Blue.

70% of my fishing is soft hackles, unless there is a hatch, or if there is a deep hole that needs to be dredged with nymphs or streamers.

"It is a singular inconsistency, that anglers, scrupulously exact about a shade of colour, draw their flies across and up stream in a way in which no natural insect was ever seen moving."

-W.C. Stewart, The Practical Angler, 1857

It's tough to argue his point. The down and across soft hackle is swinging down and around. Around doesn't happen. (Although it still works - nothing more fun than swinging a starling and herl when the grannoms are coming off).

Dave Hughes argues the upstream soft hackle represents a still-born or cripple floating down stream.
    I'm fishing mainly against log jams, usually a puddle cast across/downstream and try for a short drag free drift.. The current is fairly fast so the trout really don't have a lot of time to inspect.. I do the upstream if it is feasible but normally it's not possible. I think Dave Hughes has it right and it's very effective. I believe Sylvester Nemes said the same thing.. Man I wish it would warm up..

Mike
    - nothing more fun than swinging a starling and herl when the grannoms are coming off).

Try this on your next caddis hatch. Dead drift fished upstream or downstream

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/instcdcbubbleback.htm

This one works well down and across...

http://www.millersflyshop.com/servlet/the-2140/Antron-Emerger--Caddis/Detail

You'll thank me later.
    The first one doesn't do much for me.

I do like to use an X-caddis, of which the second kind of reminds me, so I can see how that could be successful
    Do you use a CDC and elk at all? I might start trying it more often...

Mike
    The first one doesn't do much for me.

I do like to use an X-caddis, of which the second kind of reminds me, so I can see how that could be successful

Have you ever tried the first one?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file