Home The Lodge

Book Review

dryfliedryflie Senior MemberPosts: 1,442 Senior Member
I'm assigning this Book review to Steven. Please have your detailed analysis into the Lodge by the end of the month (March 2014). Thank you.

Capital in the Twenty-First Century Hardcover
by Thomas Piketty

http://www.amazon.com/dp/067443000X/?tag=slatmaga-20
“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    This book has been getting a lot of press as of late. Why have Steven write a review when there's already one out there? :cool:
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    This book has been getting a lot of press as of late. Why have Steven write a review when there's already one out there? :cool:

Well yes but we want a Lodge expert opinion.

I haven't read it as the English version has yet to be released but I hope to get a copy when it's available. Don't know for sure but suspect I'll find a version of Capitalism I'm comfortable with.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Thanks for the posted review, Sherbet.

This quote from it was interesting to me:
    “If the rate of return on capital remains permanently above the rate of growth of the economy – this is Piketty’s key inequality relationship,” Milanovic writes in his review, it “generates a changing functional distribution of income in favor of capital and, if capital incomes are more concentrated than incomes from labor (a rather uncontroversial fact), personal income distribution will also get more unequal — which indeed is what we have witnessed in the past 30 years.”
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    One day I will be taken seriously and be the kid who is asked to revise the book.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Bunch of nerds. NERDS!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement