Home The Lodge

Drone attack on wedding party in Yemen

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 3,096 Senior Member
U.S. war crimes by drone continue.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/02/19/us-yemen-drone-strike-may-violate-obama-policy

(New York) – A deadly US drone strike on a December 2013 wedding procession in Yemen raises serious concerns about US forces’ compliance with President Barack Obama’s targeted killing policy, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today.

The 28-page report, “A Wedding That Became a Funeral: US Drone Attack on Marriage Procession in Yemen,” calls on the US government to investigate the strike, publish its findings, and act in the event of wrongdoing. The December 12 attack killed 12 men and wounded at least 15 other people, including the bride. US and Yemeni officials said the dead were members of the armed group Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), but witnesses and relatives told Human Rights Watch the casualties were civilians. Obama said in a major address in May that US policy requires “near-certainty” that no civilians will be harmed in targeted attacks.

Replies

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    "US and Yemeni officials said the dead were members of the armed group Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP)"

sounds AOK to me
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,096 Senior Member
    Witnesses and relatives told Human Rights Watch that no members of AQAP were in the procession and provided names and other information about those killed and wounded. They said the dead included the groom’s adult son and the bride received superficial face wounds. The local governor and military commander called the casualties a “mistake” and gave money and assault rifles to the families of those killed and wounded – a traditional gesture of apology in Yemen.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    Witnesses and relatives told Human Rights Watch that no members of AQAP were in the procession and provided names and other information about those killed and wounded. They said the dead included the groom’s adult son and the bride received superficial face wounds. The local governor and military commander called the casualties a “mistake” and gave money and assault rifles to the families of those killed and wounded – a traditional gesture of apology in Yemen.

so "witnesses" and relatives shook down the local government for cash and guns? no way!
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I have a drone. I'm going to bomb the living poo out of the Lodge.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Honestly Ed. Would you really expect relatives to say, "Hey, they deserved what they got?" Even terrorists have loved ones and get married.
    These people deserve no more the benefit of the doubt than does Washington, D.C. - especially if they're going to be rewarded if they lie.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    Delivery for Mr. Ed!!! Your pizza is ready Sir!!!
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,017 Senior Member
    If a drone bangs on your door at 2AM what do you do?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    If a drone bangs on your door at 2AM what do you do?

Ask questions to find out if it is in distress. Maybe it has broken copter blade and needs help.
    Steven wrote: »
    Honestly Ed. Would you really expect relatives to say, "Hey, they deserved what they got?" Even terrorists have loved ones and get married.
    These people deserve no more the benefit of the doubt than does Washington, D.C. - especially if they're going to be rewarded if they lie.

I believe Human Rights Watch before I do the U.S. government, the record of government lies in the middle east is quite clear. Jeremy Scahill is a highly respected journalist who has been reporting on drone killings of civilians for years.
    The worst part? We are going to leave Afghanistan after accomplishing basically nothing, and delusional internet warriors like Ed B. will take it as vindication for whatever pet theory they happen to be subscribing to at the moment.

We let ourselves be distracted by Iraq. We aren't the Russians. We could have won in Afghanistan if we had focused our efforts there. Now? The issue is very much in doubt. We won't be chased out or anything, but eventually we will leave. Karzai will hand the country over to medieval fanatics in the hopes of saving his own head, and Afghanistan, graveyard of empires, will once again be Fortress Al Queda.
    sherb wrote: »
    The worst part? We are going to leave Afghanistan after accomplishing basically nothing, and delusional internet warriors like Ed B. will take it as vindication for whatever pet theory they happen to be subscribing to at the moment.

We let ourselves be distracted by Iraq. We aren't the Russians. We could have won in Afghanistan if we had focused our efforts there. Now? The issue is very much in doubt. We won't be chased out or anything, but eventually we will leave. Karzai will hand the country over to medieval fanatics in the hopes of saving his own head, and Afghanistan, graveyard of empires, will once again be Fortress Al Queda.

Would you agree Sherb, that this "delusional internet warrior" has been correct all these years that U.S. foreign policy in the M.E. was and is wrong and would fail, and that you have been wrong in supporting that policy?
    I believe Human Rights Watch before I do the U.S. government.

It's not a question of whether you believe HRW. It's whether you believe the people telling HRW.
    Would you agree Sherb, that this "delusional internet warrior" has been correct all these years that U.S. foreign policy in the M.E. was and is wrong and would fail, and that you have been wrong in supporting that policy?

No. I would not.
    It's not a question of whether you believe HRW. It's whether you believe the people telling HRW.

HRW says the witnesses are credible, their record of truthful reporting is much better then the U.S. government's who refuse to investigate or talk to the witnesses.
    No. I would not.

That's clear enough. From that I take it that you support the illegal hegemonic and immoral foreign policy of the U.S. government in the middle east and around the world. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'd look over the curtain at Ed's c-section every single day.
    That's clear enough. From that I take it that you support the illegal hegemonic and immoral foreign policy of the U.S. government in the middle east and around the world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. You think the policy is illegal and immoral (hegemonic is surplusage when talking about a superpower). I think the policy is poorly executed. World of difference there.
    HRW says the witnesses are credible, their record of truthful reporting is much better then the U.S. government's who refuse to investigate or talk to the witnesses.

So'd the Lancet, which up until 2006 was completely credible.
    Yemen is a foreign country, who should we send in to investigate - Scully and Mulder?
    So'd the Lancet, which up until 2006 was completely credible.
    Yemen is a foreign country, who should we send in to investigate - Scully and Mulder?

The Lancet is still credible today.

Why can we send in drones to kill citizens of a sovereign country but not investigators to determine who is being killed by our drones?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Hex,
    Did your drone come with a free sample of this?
    63_p_SPACKLPST8OZ.jpg

Your drivin' skilz need some work!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    The worst part? We are going to leave Afghanistan after accomplishing basically nothing, and delusional internet warriors like Ed B.

We killed Bin Laden. That is enough for me.

I think we would have had a better chance of succeeding in Afghanistan had we been able to work with Massoud and not Karzai. I don't know how much our focus would have mattered with him as an ally.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member

I liked and miss haverodwilltravel. He was a character and I believe a pretty decent guy. Since you stay in touch. Will you tell him hello for me please?
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    Hextall wrote: »
    I have a drone. I'm going to bomb the living poo out of the Lodge.

Dear Hextall,

Do you really own a drone?
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    "Having a drone" does not mean constantly muttering angry diatribes.
    Bak4Mor wrote: »
    Dear Hextall,

Do you really own a drone?

Yes. I actually just got another one yesterday, so now I have two. I'm coming for you Ed!

and yes... I stuck that landing!
    Yes. I actually just got another one yesterday, so now I have two. I'm coming for you Ed!

and yes... I stuck that landing!

Impressive. I like this.

Is that a junior mint on the arm of your couch?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Ate those faux beams in your house?
    Buffco wrote: »
    Ate those faux beams in your house?

No, they are too chewy.
    Bak4Mor wrote: »
    Is that a junior mint on the arm of your couch?

No, that's the lens cap for the gopro. And the gopro is strapped to my head to film this. I suffer for my art.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    No, that's the lens cap for the gopro. And the gopro is strapped to my head to film this. I suffer for my art.

Do you go out wearing it? Do your children deny you're their father? What's in the bag?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement