Home The Lodge

Americans now say wars in Iraq and Afghan are failures

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,984 Senior Member
Some of us knew this would be true 13 years ago and said so. Most swallowed the government lies and supported those failures. I hope they have learned to question the government in the future.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/30/usa-today-pew-research-poll-americans-question-results-in-iraq-afghanistan/5028097/

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,455 Senior Member
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    Bin Laden is dead. That is all that matters to me.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,984 Senior Member
    Does it matter that we killed hundreds of thousands of people including thousands of our own troops based on the lies of our government, that the liars have not been held accountable, and that the government continues that illegal policy using drones now?
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    the American public that now says those wars were failures are the same American public that supported going into Iraq in 2012. Most are just war weary and half couldn't tell you were Iraq is on the map if you offered them $20 for the right answer. So I wouldn't read too much into the failure assessment.

I say that as one who was opposed to our involvement in Iraq from the start -- but I don't get any sense of achievement from that.

Afghanistan is another matter entirely. From the start it's been a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation, whose history goes back long before American involvement. And honestly, watch the 2003 Afghani movie "Osama" (not THAT Osama) and you get a sense of why leaving the Taliban in charge of the country (which, alas, is probably the ultimate fate anyway) wasn't exactly a tremendous option, either.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    They had no desire to rule other than to punish people that they deemed unworthy.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,984 Senior Member
    the American public that now says those wars were failures are the same American public that supported going into Iraq in 2012. Most are just war weary and half couldn't tell you were Iraq is on the map if you offered them $20 for the right answer. So I wouldn't read too much into the failure assessment.

I say that as one who was opposed to our involvement in Iraq from the start -- but I don't get any sense of achievement from that.

Afghanistan is another matter entirely. From the start it's been a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation, whose history goes back long before American involvement. And honestly, watch the 2003 Afghani movie "Osama" (not THAT Osama) and you get a sense of why leaving the Taliban in charge of the country (which, alas, is probably the ultimate fate anyway) wasn't exactly a tremendous option, either.

Does what you say about Afghanistan justify our invasion and occupation of that country for thirteen years and all the innocent people who have died because of that invasion?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement