pottery and stuff

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 8,171 Senior Member
It was archeology day on the job site. Dana found several native American pottery shards. I found one shard and a couple flakes from tool making. Later I found part of a glass bottle with enough writing intact to know it was from a local bottling company and about 100 years old give or take.
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,000 Senior Member
    You have violated the Antiquities Act. Please replace the items and turn yourself in to the nearest federal marshall.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    You have violated the Antiquities Act.
    If he "removed" any of these things he is in violation. The Antiquities Act is no joke.
    My mining claims contain artifacts and I have to legally include Antiquities Act information in my mining leases. All artifacts must remain in place, period.
    Not saying I agree with the Act, but most certainly abide. All legit prospectors/miners know of the Antiquities Act.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • So what happens? You find some shards or stuff and the government brings in some archeologists to determine if you're on a grave site or something historically significant?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,497 Senior Member
    We'll never know. FishTX is in federal prison now.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    As he should be.

I've gone back and thrown all my arrowheads back in the woods.
    Steven wrote: »
    So what happens?
    In my case I leave things where I find them. Nothing happens, life goes on as it was. I don't know anything about identifying hypothetical ancient grave sites and would consider that highly unlikely.
    I leave things in place whatever they are. No harm, no foul. Photos are fine with me. Catch & release with that stuff.
  • So you don't report what you find to anybody?
    Steven wrote: »
    So you don't report what you find to anybody?
    If I found dinosaur bones or anything of obvious historical significance I would most definitely report it. Hasn't happened.
    I have found numerous flora fossils which do not fall under the Antiquities Act. I've kept some and donated others to the local museum.
  • I guess I don't get having to leave this stuff in the ground if nobody is going to come out and look to see if it's important.
    Right. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with the Act but I most certainly abide.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.