Christmas Carol Trivia

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,807 Senior Member
We all know that "White Christmas" was written by a Jew, Irving Berlin.

For ten Lodge Points, name the Jewish composer who wrote the music for a traditional religious Christmas carol.

Hint: It was a secular composition that was adopted as a better fit for an existing carol.

No googling allowed.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Can't claim I know who wrote it but I recall someone telling me once that I'll Be Home For Chrsitmas was written by a Jewish guy.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,807 Senior Member
    The answer is Felix Mendelssohn. The carol is "Hark The Herald Angels Sing".
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Damnit, I was just going to guess Adam Sandler.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Damnit, I was just going to guess Adam Sandler.

Close, but no cigar. Perhaps a puff on someone else's electronic cigarette.
  • Meh. Felix Mendelssohn was baptised as a kid and his parents converted to Christianity. You'll never hear the Wedding March at a Jewish wedding ceremony.

Felix' grandfather, Moses Mendelssohn, is considered one of the greatest Jewish scholars in history - second only to Maimonides.
  • I read some Maimonides a while back. I came to it via the political philosopher Leo Strauss. Strauss claims that it was his study of Maimonides that led to his discovery of esoteric writing.

Obviously I am bored as **** today.
  • sherb wrote: »
    I came to it via the political philosopher Leo Strauss. Strauss claims that it was his study of Maimonides that led to his discovery of esoteric writing.

If I remember correctly from college, esoteric writing meant hidden layers and leading the reader to his own conclusions. I can see how that could lead to Maimonides and the Mishneh Torah, especially for a Jew.

Interesting factoid, the greatest Jewish scholar since the original Moses (Maimonides's full name was Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon - aka Rambam), Maimonides was the physician of Saladin.
    Steven wrote: »
    Meh. Felix Mendelssohn was baptised as a kid and his parents converted to Christianity. You'll never hear the Wedding March at a Jewish wedding ceremony.

Felix' grandfather, Moses Mendelssohn, is considered one of the greatest Jewish scholars in history - second only to Maimonides.

That didn't stop anti-Semitism from helping force his music out of favor, nor from being banned in ****-era Germany. He was raised without any religion in his early years. Baptism came later.

I think anti-Semitism (against both Jews and Arabs) has more to do with ethnicity than religion. The Inquisition went after moriscos and Muslim conversos as vigorously as it did marranos and Jewish conversos. Actually Jews probably fared better simply because a larger proportion of them had the resources to buy protection from persecution. And I don't think **** Germany was all that keen on Muslims.
  • Meh. We'll keep Irving Berlin, you can have Felix Mendelssohn.

The **** had cordial relationships with the Arabs - who were both anti-Jewish and anti-British. **** was friendly with the Jerusalem Mufti Al-Husseini and Al-Husseini was used to recruit Muslims into the SS.

FWIW, I didn't even know that Mendelssohn wrote "Hark..." that's how much of a non-entity he is. But we all know about Berlin and that "Chestnuts roasting on an Open Fire" was written by tribe member Mel Torme.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    A little research reveals that:

"First, I've reproduced the ASCAP list. Second, I've followed it up with detailed information on the Jewish background of writers of the songs. As you will see, 12 out of the 25 most popular (Christmas) songs were written or co-written by Jews.
    a huge market for popular music developed in America after around 1880. No longer was a musician or composer's living dependent on a rich patron. If you were Irish Catholic, German Lutheran or Polish Jewish, you could enter into this field and if you wrote, or sang or played a song that the public liked, you could make a living. Sometimes a very good living.
    American Jews dove into American popular music and about three-quarters of the most popular songwriters of the "Great American Songbook" period were Jewish."

From the comments: Johnny B Marks (a Jew) became so well known for his Christmas songs he created his own publishing company St. Nicholas Music. He did contribute music score for at least one sacred Christmas carol "I heard The Bells On Christmas Day".

http://www.interfaithfamily.com/arts_and_entertainment/popular_culture/The_Jews_Who_Wrote_Christmas_Songs.shtml

Hey Jesus freaks, Did it ever occur to you that the modern Christmas we know was created by Jews?
  • While I fully support anything to make a living, Neil Diamond should have drawn the line at recording a Christmas album.

On the other hand, Perry Como did one of the all time great renditions of Kol Nidre (the opening prayer for Yom Kippur).
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Barbara Streisand does Gregorian Chants...maybe not..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Sigh...It's Barbra.
    I knew I should have checked..

Mike
  • You should just know.....
    I do, but I had a senior's moment, your time is coming..

Mike
  • I would never forget this. It's DNA.
    Thumb's Up...

Mike
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,010 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    A little research reveals that:

A huge market for popular music developed in America after around 1880. No longer was a musician or composer's living dependent on a rich patron. If you were Irish Catholic, German Lutheran or Polish Jewish, you could enter into this field and if you wrote, or sang or played a song that the public liked, you could make a living. Sometimes a very good living.
    American Jews dove into American popular music and about three-quarters of the most popular songwriters of the "Great American Songbook" period were Jewish."

FWIW, Tin Pan Alley was also responsible for most of the songs that Americans today recognize as "Irish."

Jim
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,239 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Hey Jesus freaks, Did it ever occur to you that the modern Christmas we know was created by Jews?

Um..... Jesus was a Jew.
    Steven wrote: »
    Meh. We'll keep Irving Berlin, you can have Felix Mendelssohn.

The **** had cordial relationships with the Arabs - who were both anti-Jewish and anti-British. **** was friendly with the Jerusalem Mufti Al-Husseini and Al-Husseini was used to recruit Muslims into the SS.

FWIW, I didn't even know that Mendelssohn wrote "Hark..." that's how much of a non-entity he is. But we all know about Berlin and that "Chestnuts roasting on an Open Fire" was written by tribe member Mel Torme.

I know about the Grand Mufti, but dark-skinned Arabs in Germany and conquered parts of Europe did not fare so well. This Wikip. piece reflects what I have read elsewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relations_between_Nazi_Germany_and_the_Arab_world.

OK, so Irving Berlin is part of American popular music's triumvirate; but IMO he is third among equals after Cole Porter and Rodgers and Hart. But really, Steven, calling Mendelssohn a non-entity is philistinism of the highest - or should we say lowest - order. Hrumphh!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.