Dirty Wars

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,927 Senior Member
I don't pay to see many films but I will see this one.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Film/2013-11-25/Film_Review_Dirty_Wars.html

“The world has become America’s battlefield. And we can go anywhere and everywhere we want.”

The conclusion of Jeremy Scahill’s gripping, unsettling and at times terrifying documentary may seem initially preposterous, but after 90 minutes of clinical evidence, his assertion that the US government is engaged in hidden wars across the globe seems brutally clear. The War on Terror goes on. And it’s getting worse.

Dirty Wars focuses on journalist Jeremy Scahill’s investigation into America’s covert operations around the world. A veteran of wars in Yugoslavia, Iraq and Afghanistan, Scahill is a hard-nosed investigative journalist who is fiercely independent and the narrative focus of the film.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    When the new Star Wars comes out, I will buy you a ticket and you and I can go.

We'll live blog it and be heroes.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I've got no opinion regarding the film as this is the first I've heard of it.

but the title ("Dirty Wars") sort of implies that there's any other kind. Sorry, not sure I quite buy that.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    The title "Dirty Wars" refers to the many, mostly hidden from the American public, covert operations of JSOC (Joint Special Operations Command) which reports only to the President. They kill people anywhere in the world in countries that we are not at war with.
    I KNOW what it refers to.

I simply find it ironic in the implied suggestion that OVERT wars, which kill millions more people, are somehow NOT dirty?
    I agree, all wars are dirty wars. I also think that our present illegal, unconstitutional, and immoral wars that we aggressively perpetrate through JSOC are the dirtiest.
    EdB wrote: »
    I agree, all wars are dirty wars. I also think that our present illegal, unconstitutional, and immoral wars that we aggressively perpetrate through JSOC are the dirtiest.

amazing. so firebombing the Germans during WWII, or dropping the A-bomb on Hiroshima, or agent orange on the Vietnamese countryside (just to mention our OWN recent history, never mind even more aggregious tactics in other wars by other actors) was somehow morally superior to drone strikes.

yeah, you kinda lost me on that one.
    I never said those wars were superior to drone wars, what we're doing now is dirty because it involves a private assassination unit not accountable to Congress or the American people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.