Capatilism, a new tyranny

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,920 Senior Member
This pope guy is talking like a real Christian.

http://rt.com/news/pope-francis-capitalism-tyranny-324/

Replies

• From each according to ability, to each according to need. That should work.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,920 Senior Member
    Yeah, the pope is really a communist, got it.
  • Just your run of the mill collectivist.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,920 Senior Member
    Define collectivist?
  • A view that the group is of primary moral value well above that of the individual. Economically, this manifests itself in the belief that the means of production should be used for the benefit of the group, rather than for the benefit of the individual that owns the means of production.

While I would agree that collectivism is needed to deal with the problems of externalities, the Holy Father seems to go well beyond this. But then, who can blame him if he thinks Latin America is representative of capitalism.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    I was liking him up until now.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Hey Pope Francis, I've seen the Vatican, and you didn't build that!

Really, the Vatican has always taken on a leftist and pacifist point of view, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the world stage.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Those **** Christians..... always trying to do as Jesus suggested.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,568 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I was liking him up until now.

I was liking up until now too. ****, now I love the man!!!
    Steven wrote: »
    From each according to ability, to each according to need. That should work.

Anyone who believes the current American system of Capitalism is sustainable is deranged. At the current trajectory 2-3 people will own the entire country in 50 years.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    Yes. We all live in such squalor.
    dryflie wrote: »

Remember when He said, "Force thy neighbor to be a good Samaritan?"
    Buffco wrote: »
    Remember when He said, "Force thy neighbor to be a good Samaritan?"

I believe it was more a case of.... Your neighbor should consider being a good Samaritan...or hell is in his future.
    Judge not, lest ye be judged?
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,171 Senior Member
    How many drones does the Vatican own?
  • dryflie wrote: »

I think ol' John Calvin would have had a bit of a problem with Francis
  • jbilly wrote: »
    How many drones does the Vatican own?

We may have found one.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,936 Senior Member
    Aw hell...The catholic church is a capitalistic enterprise. They sell faith, hope and salvation and rake in hoards of cash doing so.

Send me money, send me green, heaven you will meet.
    Make your contribution and you'll get the better seat.

- James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich 1986
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Aw hell...The catholic church is a capitalistic enterprise. They sell faith, hope and salvation and rake in hoards of cash doing so.

Send me money, send me green, heaven you will meet.
    Make your contribution and you'll get the better seat.

- James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich 1986

yep

when the Vatican starts selling off its billions in land holdings, art, gold, etc to feed the poor i'd be willing to listen

when they admit to working with the ****'s during WWII, i'll listen

when they accept their role in the continuing (for centuries) systemic child abuse, i'll listen

until then, pope francis is just another in a long line of hypocrites
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    Apparently none of you can see the mounting evidence of a seismic shift in the Church's attitude regarding wealth and it's role in society. Here you have Francis, a man who eschews the trappings of wealth, who punishes a German bishop for extravagant spending, who apparently is willing to practice what he preaches. I'll grant you that the Church has a 1000 years or more of sins it needs forgiven but Francis is making a move in the right direction.
    Apparently none of you can see the mounting evidence of a seismic shift in the Church's attitude regarding wealth and it's role in society.

Uh huh...

Pope Francis is not just the spiritual leader of one of the world’s major religions: He’s also the head of what’s probably the wealthiest institution in the entire world. The Catholic Church’s global spending matches the annual revenues of the planet’s largest firms, and its assets—huge amounts of real estate, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Vatican City, some of the world’s greatest art—surely exceed those of any corporation by an order of magnitude.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/03/catholic_church_and_pope_francis_religious_institutions_are_exempted_from.html

What is the Vatican Bank?

It's definitely not your average bank. Officially called the Institute for the Works of Religion, the Vatican Bank is a privately held firm run by a CEO who reports to a committee of cardinals and the Pope. It offers ATMs with transactions in Latin and boasts a small castle-like headquarters protected by Swiss Guards.
    It has about 33,000 accounts, a distribution network in more than 100 countries, and an estimated $8 billion in assets. (By contrast, JPMorgan Chase, the largest U.S. bank, has about $2 trillion in assets.)
    Details of the account holders are private, though the Vatican says most of the accounts belong to members of the clergy. Because its assets are not the property of the Holy See, it isn't overseen by the Vatican; instead it's considered a charitable foundation affiliated with the Vatican.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100554748

Those evil capitalists!!!
    Well if you believe that the head of a major institution can not influence and modify it's direction over time......OK???
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    Well if you believe that the head of a major institution can not influence and modify it's direction over time......OK???

they can modify.....but i don't see it happening

let me know when the vatican tag sale happens...
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Major institutions are not people.

:D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Steven, for a conservative that probably the most upsidedown thing you've ever written.

I'm not defending the Catholic Church by any means simply pointing out that Francis is a different voice with a different set of values. He's a liberal surrounded by conservatives. A nice bit of fresh air.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Soooo... he's the Barack Obama of Catholics?
  • Soooo... he's the Barack Obama of Catholics?

No, he still thinks Sandra Fluke is a ****.
    Steven, for a conservative that probably the most upsidedown thing you've ever written.
    I'm not even sure what this means.
    This is what he means...

ǝldoǝd ʇou ǝɹɐ suoᴉʇnʇᴉʇsuᴉ ɹoɾɐW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.