Comet ISON sighting

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
first half-decent picture of the comet so far -- taken in 12 degree weather in my favorite wheat field. 6 second exposure -- couldn't go longer due to the bright moon (fortunately the moon was on the other half of the sky) and imminent dawn.

10983443873_897f00d254_b.jpg
1402091_10151833400899195_1390572074_o by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Dude, I think that's a windmill.

[seriously, it's pretty clearly a windmill standing next to that cylindrical robot]
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Finally, someone sees the "comet of the century". It has a way to go.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Sure is flat out there..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Sure is flat out there..

Mike

just in that direction (one of the reasons I pick that spot). Just to the south (right edge) of the photo in the distance are the Blue Mountains, averaging about 7-8000 feet in elevation, I think -- not huge but fairly rugged. To the west (behind the camera) are the channeled scablands where ice age floods carved deep gullies and coulees. to the south is Rattlesnake mountain and the Horseheaven hills.

it's not rugged or mountainous by Rocky Mountain standards, but it's not uniformly flat
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    It will enter the Sun's area of influence on the 28th I believe. Will be interesting to see how it handles that situation. Betting is about 50/50 that it will not survive.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    just in that direction (one of the reasons I pick that spot). Just to the south (right edge) of the photo in the distance are the Blue Mountains, averaging about 7-8000 feet in elevation, I think -- not huge but fairly rugged. To the west (behind the camera) are the channeled scablands where ice age floods carved deep gullies and coulees. to the south is Rattlesnake mountain and the Horseheaven hills.

it's not rugged or mountainous by Rocky Mountain standards, but it's not uniformly flat

Just teasing. If you want flat go to Saskatchewan. If your dog runs away, you can watch it for three days..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Just teasing. If you want flat go to Saskatchewan. If your dog runs away, you can watch it for three days..

Mike

Great Uncle Charlie who lived near Winnipeg said things like that.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    dryflie wrote: »
    It will enter the Sun's area of influence on the 28th I believe. Will be interesting to see how it handles that situation. Betting is about 50/50 that it will not survive.

Yeah, really hoping that it does survive it. the tail is already much longer than the tail from Comet PANSTARRS earlier this year, so it has potential to still deliver a visual spectacle. The moon will plague viewing until after the 28th so photo ops are limited until then -- though I am seriously considering going to Palouse Falls state park to shoot it rising over the waterfall tomorrow morning.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,576 Senior Member
    If this thing falls apart, the Oort Cloud is dead to me.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    If this thing falls apart, the Oort Cloud is dead to me.

yeah, shoddy workmanship, unreliable delivery.....eff them.
    Well, it appears that, based on my Saturday morning outing, there will be no more comet sightings until after thanksgiving, and possibly after mid-December.

The comet is simply too low on the horizon at sunrise to be able to view or image well, unless perhaps it's with a telescope.

I did get some interesting photos though from the trip I took to Palouse Falls, about 90 mi from our house.

The first is the comet itself -- the same image that I posted earlier, but with a much more aggressive post-processing. While I think it is not as aesthetically pleasing, it DOES depict the comet more clearly, showing the tail in particular. Since that was the last photo I'll get of the comet before it reappears after thanksgiving (it has faded from view for now), i thought i'd put up the alternate view:

11044469745_4ca6d2e3ed_b.jpg
    DSC_6204-Edit-2 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

the view from near Palouse Falls, two days later. The comet MIGHT be visible here, but the tail is not. Already it is simply too close to the sun to be visible to a camera:

11044518514_c0c688fa80_b.jpg
    DSC_7459-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

the bright moonlight didn't help with viewing the comet -- but it did make Palouse Falls show up nicely during the pre-dawn shots:
    11044596743_7dd9b6b4f0_b.jpg
    DSC_7448 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

foggy dawn light over the Snake River:
    11044315855_e8d424b40c_b.jpg
    DSC_7519-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

sometimes, I just have no sense of subtlety....
    11044542633_7fe75e2e2c_b.jpg
    DSC_7511-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

sometimes I do.
    11044249226_23a53ecfe8_b.jpg
    DSC_7599 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

in case you doubted how cold it was (11 deg F at sunrise)
    11044370833_0ed007ee81_b.jpg
    DSC_7571 by Scott Butner, on Flickr
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Dude, I think that's a windmill.

[seriously, it's pretty clearly a windmill standing next to that cylindrical robot]

That's not a robot. It is the new 2014 stylish and streamlined Black Monolith, it's first restyling since 2001 save for a few minor refreshes over the years. Duh!

Scott - Nice pics, as always.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    If it gets really big, how will we know when it's Kool Aid time? Seriously need to know.
    creekguy wrote: »
    If it gets really big, how will we know when it's Kool Aid time? Seriously need to know.

if you hear it talking to you, it's time for the Kool-aid.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,174 Senior Member
    Awesome pictures as always...you have a way with capturing the best aspects of your subjects tails ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.