well this should be interesting....

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
I have been on an austerity budget of late, but decided to go out on a limb and buy one of those Vixen Optical "Polarie" tracking devices.

These are the little gadgets, about the size of a paperback book, that you put between your tripod and your DSLR, line up with Polaris the north star, and it will track the stars for you, allowing time exposures up to several minutes in length with no streaking.

This is the image that finally sold me on the thing -- some guy named Justinm on Flickr posted it -- taken with a Nikon D600 and 300 mm lens, a series of 60 second exposures stacked up (that's a common noise reduction technique).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinm/10341367123/

I've caught the Andromeda galaxy many times in my wide field sky shots, but never anything other than a fuzzy patch in the sky. short of buying a real telescope, mount and CCD imaging device, i don't know how you get much better than this!

now hopefully we get a chance to see ISON before it falls apart.

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,967 Senior Member
    Will it track planets?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Will it track planets?

yes, though I suppose not as precisely (they DO move slightly against the background of stars so they will "drift" a tiny bit within the field of view -- most are so bright that long exposures aren't needed anyway.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    and because Monkey isn't here to say it, I'll just answer anyway: yes, it WILL track Uranus.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,805 Senior Member
    Wow, that is a great photo of the Andromeda Galaxy.
    Can't wait to see some of your images with the new gizmo, Scott.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.