Iowa

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member
Why the hell are Koch brothers trying to buy local governments in Iowa, what are they after? What regs are they trying to influence in small communities? I understood when they tried to buy the Florida States econ department...or was it Florida? I have not yet figured out what their real game is in Iowa? Get rid of protections, rid of regs that they feel interfere with their profits,.....? That is what happened in Wisconsin.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2013/11/05/some-questioning-involvement-of-koch-brothers-group-in-iowa-races.html
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »

I think it has to be something else. Ethanol is king in the corn belt already. Spending millions in Iowa isn't going increase the acres in corn going to ethanol. Local government doesn't control that. They wouldn't get the return on their money.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,007 Senior Member
    Iowa uses non-binding caucuses and back room politics rather than primaries, which are much more difficult to rig. Local office holders and their backers can pack the caucuses and wheel and deal more readily than can challengers.

So, the Kochs are investing in putting extreme right wingers in office in order to influence the 2016 presidential race. That shouldn't be too difficult in Iowa where Rick Santorum won the caucuses in 2012. Due to back room maneuvering he won no delegates, however. Six pledged to Romney, 22 to Ron Paul.

Democracy in action.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Iowa uses non-binding caucuses and back room politics rather than primaries, which are much more difficult to rig. Local office holders and their backers can pack the caucuses and wheel and deal more readily than can challengers.

So, the Kochs are investing in putting extreme right wingers in office in order to influence the 2016 presidential race. That shouldn't be too difficult in Iowa where Rick Santorum won the caucuses in 2012. Due to back room maneuvering he won no delegates, however. Six pledged to Romney, 22 to Ron Paul.

Democracy in action.

Makes sense. Thanks George.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.