So I guess it's OK?

To buy substandard plans from bad apple insurers again?

Hmmmm.....

Replies

  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    But only for a year and then cancellation notices will be coming again out right at election time next year. :rolleyes:

    But this is really effed up. It's like we've entered the twighlight zone. Obama is now dumping the mess he made into the laps of insurance companies and consumers get stuck with the chaos. First he forced insurance companies to not offer those types of plans, now he is going to try to force them to offer the plans? ****?

    My question is how can he do that when it's a law? Will they cost the same? Aren't the old policies gone? If they are reinstated, who will be joining exchanges? Won't the young and healthy just buy/keep their cheaper plan? The insurance companies canceled millions of policies to be in compliance with Obamacare, so if they reinstate them, will not they be breaking the law?

    This is what happens when you rush legislation through when you have the short time window of your party in power. It wasn't that long ago that it was the sacred law of the land that could not be changed.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I believe you.
  • joekrz wrote: »
    But only for a year and then cancellation notices will be coming again out right at election time next year. :rolleyes:

    But this is really effed up. It's like we've entered the twighlight zone. Obama is now dumping the mess he made into the laps of insurance companies and consumers get stuck with the chaos. First he forced insurance companies to not offer those types of plans, now he is going to try to force them to offer the plans? ****?

    My question is how can he do that when it's a law? Will they cost the same? Aren't the old policies gone? If they are reinstated, who will be joining exchanges? Won't the young and healthy just buy/keep their cheaper plan? The insurance companies canceled millions of policies to be in compliance with Obamacare, so if they reinstate them, will not they be breaking the law?

    This is what happens when you rush legislation through when you have the short time window of your party in power. It wasn't that long ago that it was the sacred law of the land that could not be changed.

    Not 100% true. Obama's "fix" gives the opportunity (but doesn't force) insurers to reinstate the old policies. Of course, if they can't or won't, Obama will just blame the insurance companies again. Meanwhile the insurers that played the game on the exchanges will be effed hard. They'll be stuck with the sickest and praying that they actually get some kind of reimbursement for the losses they'll take.

    Good thing we had to pass the law to know what's in it.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    I believe you.

    I accept your apology.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Not 100% true. Obama's "fix" gives the opportunity (but doesn't force) insurers to reinstate the old policies. Of course, if they can't or won't, Obama will just blame the insurance companies again. Meanwhile the insurers that played the game on the exchanges will be effed hard. They'll be stuck with the sickest and praying that they actually get some kind of reimbursement for the losses they'll take.

    Good thing we had to pass the law to know what's in it.

    You are correct, I should have worded it better in stating that he would "let" them offer the plans.

    From what I am reading though, it doesn't sound like many state insurance commissioners are going to go along with this.

    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/11/state-insurance-commissioners-are-split-obamacare-fix/71622/

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/14/state-insurance-chiefs-already-rejecting-obamas-fi/

    Those that do...Does this mean that reinstated policies will be snapped up by the young and healthy at the old rates? Thought the the exchanges needed all these young people in order for the law to work? Then what happens? They get cancellation notices again a year from now and people are back in the same boat?

    This is nothing more than Obama trying to shift the blame after jerking around the insurance companies for the past 3 years. Forcing them to change all kinds of things now he says do another 180. ACA has turned into CYA.
  • Basically yes, but not at the old rates. The rates will be higher to reflect loss cost trends.

    When you'd get your cancellation notice depends. If your old policy would have ended prior to October 1, 2014, you will be able to renew that policy. So you won't get a cancellation notice until 2015.
    I can't see how this doesn't kill the exchanges.

    Change! is nice. Better it should have been Actuary!
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    guess what, insurance plans change nearly every year. guess what, junk plans are junk plans. I cry for these people. Let's say there is a 15K deductible. If most of them can pay that if something happens they aren't poor and disadvantaged. They whine if they have to pay more a year. I cry for the poor babies. I think the uproar over all this is needless, senseless and political. The whole thing makes me laugh. Watching this all unfold has made me lose just about any interest in politics. I guess this is the new tactic now that parading out "business owners" that tell the press that they'll have to cut workers or reduce them to part timers because they can't afford it. The usual truth is that these people have four, maybe even ten employees. They know they are lying. Never check out the truth it's so much easier to buy the lies. And never will you have to make painful changes. This world can fall into chaos as far as I am concerned nobody seems ever to learn anything.

    have fun
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • People must love their junk plans. They want 'em back so much.

    This whole thing is exemplary of why the liberal elite makes me laugh. They know what's better for you and every once in awhile they con the American people into believing it. Who can doubt it? They went to Harvard, they're 25%ers, and their intentions are all so noble.

    And then the American people wake up and say, "****?"
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    guess what, insurance plans change nearly every year. guess what, junk plans are junk plans. I cry for these people. Let's say there is a 15K deductible. If most of them can pay that if something happens they aren't poor and disadvantaged. They whine if they have to pay more a year. I cry for the poor babies. I think the uproar over all this is needless, senseless and political. The whole thing makes me laugh. Watching this all unfold has made me lose just about any interest in politics. I guess this is the new tactic now that parading out "business owners" that tell the press that they'll have to cut workers or reduce them to part timers because they can't afford it. The usual truth is that these people have four, maybe even ten employees. They know they are lying. Never check out the truth it's so much easier to buy the lies. And never will you have to make painful changes. This world can fall into chaos as far as I am concerned nobody seems ever to learn anything.

    have fun

    Not everyone has a junk plan. Also, as I mentioned once before, it's up to the individual buying a plan to read the explanation of benefits and fine print before purchasing a plan to make sure they know what is covered and what is excluded.

    Dean Griffin liked the health insurance he purchased for himself and his wife three years ago and thought he'd be able to keep the plan even after the federal Affordable Care Act took effect.

    But the 64-year-old recently received a letter notifying him the plan was being canceled because it didn't cover certain benefits required under the law.

    The Griffins, who live near Philadelphia on the Delaware border, pay $770 monthly for their soon-to-be-terminated health care plan with a $2,500 deductible. The cheapest plan they found on their state insurance exchange was a so-called bronze plan charging a $1,275 monthly premium with deductibles totaling $12,700. It covers only providers in Pennsylvania, so the couple wouldn't be able to see the doctors in Delaware whom they've used for more than a decade.

    http://news.yahoo.com/sticker-shock-often-follows-insurance-cancellation-133652630.html
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    from what I've hearing most of them are junk plans...not all of course....nothing is ever "ALL."
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    ... reduce them to part timers
    This is real.
    A good friend of mine moved to St Louis about two years ago and is a regional manager for a cleaning company. We were discussing Obamacare last week over the phone. He oversees just over 200 employees and said that most of them will be cut to the part-time threshold (not his decision). That's just one example that I'm familiar with.
    The cleaning employees will hence have smaller paychecks or take on another part-time job to maintain their current cost of living.
    In addition they will be immediately forced into the obamacare abyss.... who knows what insurance companies have waiting for them? Nothing good I reckon, but they will be forced to buy something on their own.... even if they don't own a pc to access the useless website.
    IMO.... this law is a clusterf### so far and not even close to being ready for primetime. Slap a moratorium on it until it's ready... or she'll be gone for good.
    Nobody's gonna win except big insurance and the gov collecting colossal penalty revenues as it stands.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    You are correct Swizz. It is real. Actions have consequences and sometimes the consequences aren't good for the masses.

    http://news.yahoo.com/businesses-cut-full-time-workers-meet-obamacare-mandate-011930832.html
  • The first administrative fix the genius in the White House should make is to change the definition of full-time to 40 hours.
    The second fix should be to get rid of the penalty cliff when a business hits 50 employees. Should be a slope, not a cliff.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The first administrative fix the genius in the White House should make is to change the definition of full-time...
    Labor unions will have a LOT to say if they attempt to go this route, another can of worms altogether methinks.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.