Obamacare...you just can't make this $hit up!

2»

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Let's keep the horror stories in perspective. A little more than half of non-business bankruptcies occur due to medical bills - that's about 700,000 cases per year. We have 115 million households in this country - so you're talking about .6% of the population.

And that is the case with the horror stories of our system, greatly exaggerated for sensationalism..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Yea. **** 'em.

Two thumbs up..

Mike
  • ouzelpro wrote: »
    Yea. **** 'em.

G-d knows makes sense to **** everything up for a tiny minority. The definition of a Lib.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,964 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Yea. **** 'em.

Really........
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Remember that $200 (whatever it was) a bag saline solution. Want to fix healthcare, get control of the charges. As it is now every hospital/clinic/etc charges whatever they like. It may be $10 for a latex glove or it may be 15 cents depending where you go.

Since people have to blame someone you can thank the Republicans for nearly gutting the affordable care act, what is left is just a shell of the original. I blame Obama for not being tougher and caving on nearly everything the repubs wanted. But he wanted to get something. If the dems take the house expect "obamacare" to be improved greatly. [evil grin]
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • The other issue-lost in the blatant web of lies about keeping your current plan-is that the cost controls will not work if a whole shitload of younglings don't sign up. How is the administration planning to hew to the idea that the ACA is revenue neutral when the death spiral occurs? Simply put: the cost control measures are based on the administration's projections. If they are forced to subsidize plans (and they will be) the ACA's revenue-neutral promise is long gone.

Its difficult to imagine a worse way to incentivize buyers than to require them to buy a more comprehensive plan than they need. That's what the ACA does. It requires a threshold level of comprehensive coverage. If your current plan doesn't offer it, guess what? You can't keep it. Shouldn't you get to decide that? I can scarcely think of a more nanny-state concept than that.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,062 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Want to fix healthcare, get control of the charges.

+1

That's what I've maintained all along
  • Wetdog wrote: »
    Since people have to blame someone you can thank the Republicans for nearly gutting the affordable care act, what is left is just a shell of the original. I blame Obama for not being tougher and caving on nearly everything the repubs wanted. But he wanted to get something. If the dems take the house expect "obamacare" to be improved greatly. [evil grin]

What nonsense. He didn't get or need a single Republican vote. If the President wanted more, all he had to do was convince his own party.
  • joekrz wrote: »
    +1

That's what I've maintained all along

The problem is that the Democrats would use government diktat to set prices - and get it wrong.

You want to lower prices, do away with employer-provided insurance - but the unions and the Dems that suck on union **** would never go along with that.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    More facts for the echo chamber. This has turned into a big mess.

Those getting the cancellation letters are often shocked and unhappy.

George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was "perfectly happy" with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a letter saying his policy was no longer available. The "comparable" plan the insurance company offered him carried a $1,208 monthly premium and a $5,500 deductible.

And the best option he’s found on the exchange so far offered a 415 percent jump in premium, to $948 a month.

"The deductible is less," he said, "But the plan doesn't meet my needs. Its unaffordable."

"I'm sitting here looking at this, thinking we ought to just pay the fine and just get insurance when we're sick," Schwab added. "Everybody's worried about whether the website works or not, but that's fixable. That's just the tip of the iceberg. This stuff isn't fixable."

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/28/21213547-obama-admin-knew-millions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite

$14,500 a year for insurance? Versus $2700 and change? For a retiree who doesn't have a job to raise more money? Somebody gots some 'splainin' to do.....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    When I was a healthy 62, my Blue X B.Shld.for one cost me about $370 a month at a 5,000 deduct. $228 for 2 sounds bogus.
    creekguy wrote: »
    When I was a healthy 62, my Blue X B.Shld.for one cost me about $370 a month at a 5,000 deduct. $228 for 2 sounds bogus.

Not really. Insurance premiums are based on the cost of medical benefits, costs for selling the insurance, costs for administering the plans and the costs associated with ensuring there are enough funds in the plan to pay out medical claims. All these factors vary from state to state in addition to the medical and health history of the person being insured along with the chosen deductible. Higher deductible = lower premium.

Welcome to the Unaffordable Care Act...

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/health-insurance-premiums-affordable-care-act-227910201.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/29/5287582/report-health-premiums-to-rise.html

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-health-sticker-shock-20131027,0,2756077.story#axzz2j9MbhtPh

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/09/25/double-down-obamacare-will-increase-avg-individual-market-insurance-premiums-by-99-for-men-62-for-women/
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You guys told us not to vote for a black guy, and did we listen? No.
  • George Schwab should know we're post-racial and post-partisan. He really should stop complaining.
    How about some success stories.. Had to go to a Liberal site cause they've all left here...

http://www.alan.com/2013/10/18/obamacare-extraordinary-success-stories-real-people/

Mike
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,216 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    You can't keep it. Shouldn't you get to decide that? I can scarcely think of a more nanny-state concept than that.

Silly Sherb...it is for the greater good...don't question the greater good!

You can't possibly be naïve enough to think this is just the tip of the nanny iceberg...that is crazy talk.
    ricinus wrote: »
    You have to admit Steven, that if the richest nation on earth can't get affordable healthcare for it's citizens, something is **** up..

Mike

It's not that the nation can't get it...it's that the healthcare industry is out of control on costs.

I continue to use the example of highly decorative packaging at 5x the cost of "brown box" that sits on shelves in closets and never sees a retail shelf...and that is far from the only way they blow money.

Like this:
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Remember that $200 (whatever it was) a bag saline solution. Want to fix healthcare, get control of the charges. As it is now every hospital/clinic/etc charges whatever they like. It may be $10 for a latex glove or it may be 15 cents depending where you go.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,306 Senior Member
    I just cannot understand how someone like Buffco can only afford insurance for his wife and kids, but not for himself.

I made a market based, risk assessment decision.

But now I've got no choice. Not only are we "losing" our insurance, we are forced to go into an HRA. Pretty much it's only a tax deductible program that allows me to pay full price for ALL doctor visits, meds, until a high deductible is met.

So it saves me a few dollars in taxes each year, which will more than be eaten up by paying $350 for a doctor visit, $150 for a bottle of antibiotics.

We are genuinely frightened.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I made a market based, risk assessment decision.

But now I've got no choice. Not only are we "losing" our insurance, we are forced to go into an HRA. Pretty much it's only a tax deductible program that allows me to pay full price for ALL doctor visits, meds, until a high deductible is met.

So it saves me a few dollars in taxes each year, which will more than be eaten up by paying $350 for a doctor visit, $150 for a bottle of antibiotics.

We are genuinely frightened.

And I really don't understand why you should be put in this situation at all, it just doesn't make sense to me, sorry..

Mike
    How about some success stories.. Had to go to a Liberal site cause they've all left here...

http://www.alan.com/2013/10/18/obamacare-extraordinary-success-stories-real-people/

Mike

Balance is good - thank you.

Mike

Good for Mr. Sherburne and Ms. Brown. Those are good things about ACA.

Mr. Rhiki...Is it a comparable plan to what he had? Same coverages? Same deductibles? We don't know.

Mr. Matthews and Kate...The rest of us now subsidize their premiums. Especially the younger people. They get saddled with the extra expense.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/premiums-for-young-healthy-people-will-jump-in-45-states-under-obamacare/article/2537431

Mr. Stryker...Dumb way to buy health insurance. COBRA is never cheaper than buying on the private market.
    Hanitty's guests with ACA horror stories were fact checked, seems they weren't entirely honest about the effects. Wonder how many other stories are the same..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/18/sean-hannity-fact-checked-obamacare_n_4124699.html

I guess you can make this $hit up..

Mike
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,854 Senior Member
    Joe, you can't cite an article that gets its data from The Heritage Foundation and expect it to be taken seriously.
    Speaking of healthcare, how is the knee rehab going?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.