Home The Lodge

Allergy shots

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,586 Senior Member
Any of you have this done?

My doctor recommended I get tested at the allergy lab. I did and found out I was allergic to all kinds of crap. Dust mites?

Anyway, I'm supposed to give myself injections three times a week for two years. The dosage increases in strength over a period. Supposedly its to condition my immune system to quit going ape crap when I inhale Bermuda grass pollen, **** and willow and oak tree pollen, three kinds of molds, or bitten by dist mites.

The Allergy Lab boasts an 85% success rate. I hope it works because I'm give from having seasonal allergies to nearly perpetual symptoms.

Any experience?

Replies

• What have you tried before this recommendation. I have seasonal allergies to pollen. I take generic Claritin a couple of months before the trees start to bloom. Then I have prescription eye drops and a nasal spray when the pollen really kicks up.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Claritin, might as well have been a sugar pill. Same with Zyrtec.

All the fast acting stuff only works temporary. Mucinex was the best I've tried.

But I'm talking symptoms for months. And the runny nose, store throat, itchy eyes? That's kid stuff. I suffer from extreme fatigue and pounding headaches with mine.
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    DO IT! I did and it paid off tremendously. I was two weeks away from total lung involvement when I got to my allergist. That was in'86. If you're lucky, nurse will give you a shot in the buttocks and you will be amazed at how much better you can breathe within minutes. And needling yourself for a worthy cause, your life, is no big deal. Choice is yours - pulmonary failure is no good for anybody. One of my students was hospitalized with pulmonary failure. He noted that I, too, had been hacking and coughing. He warned me to get to an allergist. I went the next week. Suffered the allergy test to discover what I was allergic to. Two years of needling worked.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    It's all a part of the Obamacare to get you Southerns under the control of us liberals. Resistance is futile. You can find documentation on Brietbart's blog, Limputt's show or FOX News.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Claritin, might as well have been a sugar pill. Same with Zyrtec.

All the fast acting stuff only works temporary. Mucinex was the best I've tried.

But I'm talking symptoms for months. And the runny nose, store throat, itchy eyes? That's kid stuff. I suffer from extreme fatigue and pounding headaches with mine.

Based on my experience, you better start your needling PDQ. And discontinue those meds immediately! Start using a saline nasal spray to wash away those allergens.
    And all this has gotten worse over a decade. Never had them before.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,616 Senior Member
    From what I understand there's a better method that involves putting drops under your tongue. This from a coworker with the same problems.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Yes as kid. I played soccer then. Mom gave them to me....in the front of the thigh. Not in a softer area like the arm, but in my most muscular area. Bruised for a couple days aftwards, week after week. Aaaah. Childhood memories.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Don, to clarify, I've already started. I did my first self injection today.

Since heroin.
  • I just get a steroid shot at the beginning of the season. Takes care of the problem nicely.
    sherb wrote: »
    I just get a steroid shot at the beginning of the season. Takes care of the problem nicely.

I always knew that physique was due to roid use.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Did they test your allergy to carrot tops?
  • Heck if his nose gets as red as his hair he can run off with the circus.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,493 Senior Member
    Doesn't that pu$$y Cutler also have to inject himself...for diabetes?

My friend did the allergy shots. He was told you have to keep doing it and can't miss any. Well of course he did miss one and they made him start over. I never asked him if he finised it.
    Don, to clarify, I've already started. I did my first self injection today.
    Wait till you start doing the hard stuff. Your own flu shots.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Wait till you start doing the hard stuff. Your own flu shots.

Can you....you know..hook a brother up?

Put it in your palm and shake my hand.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,314 Senior Member
    Yes, immunotherapy helps. I was on it for several years and have not relapsed.

Three times a week for three years sounds excessive. Usually it's once or twice a week for a few weeks then it begins to space out to every three weeks, or monthly. This cycle repeats each time you start a new vial of serum.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergy-shots

Actually, you are not allergic to dust mites but to a protein in their teensy weensy little turds. The best thing to do is to get covers for your mattress and pillows, and to wash your bedding in hot water.

Any of the recommended ones here should be OK.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/home-products/allergy-control-product-reviews/anti-allergy-bedding

Do not buy the cheap vinyl ones except for use on a box spring if your bed uses one.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Dryflie I haven't. I'll check it out.

Thanks, George.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I haven't tried injections, so far, Claritin works during the season. I have spoken to several sufferers who have all gained relief from the shots.

Dust mites, ewww. Time to get rid of old carpet and the mattress.Dust mites are always around, but some houses have much higher concentrations.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,314 Senior Member
    Dust mites feed on your dead skin cells that slough off onto the bed. There's a good sci-fi movie that could be made from that true fact.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbilly wrote: »
    Doesn't that pu$$y Cutler also have to inject himself...for diabetes?

Cutler does insulin shooters.
    Put it in your palm and shake my hand.[/QuUOTE]Your talking about the shot, right?

Shh shh. Don't talk.
  • I'll give you two a moment.
    greenman wrote: »
    I'll give you two a moment.

Thanks....won't be long now....
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Oops, sorry, I'll come back later..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.