Home The Lodge

Garden & Gun

2»

Replies

• George K wrote: »
    Worse than that; they are an abomination unto all the gods.

Heretic!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    One other thing. Boiled peanuts RTehSuk.

Get out. Now.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    You've never had good ones then. Washed down with an RC Cola.

Or sweet tea.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,616 Senior Member
    The thing I've never had, which looks just disgustingly good, is biscuits and gravy.

The only people that I ever see eat biscuits and gravy are old people with no teeth. True story.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,493 Senior Member
    I was aware that the gravy was made with pork sausage, hence the reason why I've never had it.

I have been in the South you know. I have clients in Columbus and Duluth, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama.

This reminds me of my friend Jon. Once when we were like 6 or 7 or so he came over to spend the night. So my Mom cooked dinner, just being absent minded, she totally just spaced him being Jewish. Anyway she had made ham for dinner. She realized what she did right as she put it on the table and was like oh crap, and asked him if she could make him something else. He said, no, that he never got to eat ham at home, but liked it. He proceeded to destroy it. Still makes me laugh to this day.
    Have you tried ho cakes stored in you pie safe? Or ho-pies as they are known. You can't go wrong with some ho-pies.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Grits?
    Its called polenta, you freakin' rednecks. ;)
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    It's a thing of beauty. I do it every year October thru the end of January. A weekend rarely goes by during that time frame that I am not out in the woods both days either all day or 1/2 the day.

My Dog retrieving...

CIMG3432.jpg

Joe, that is a spectacular picture showing the athleticism of a hunting dog!....if you want that blown up and printed, you know where to get hold of me.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,064 Senior Member
    I was aware that the gravy was made with pork sausage, hence the reason why I've never had it.

I have been in the South you know. I have clients in Columbus and Duluth, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama.
    I figured that was why you hadn't had it, and I did know you've been in the South.

I respect your adherence to Kosher eating.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,064 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    The only people that I ever see eat biscuits and gravy are old people with no teeth. True story.
    That's because you're in Wisconsin.
    That's because you're in Wisconsin.

And in the south neither the young or old have teeth
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Dude... Seriously? I know you are a city slicker and all but come on, ho cakes? And pie safes?

I really count myself as fortunate that I've had both sets of grandparents live until I was 30, and had two great grands until I was 20. My grandfather told in his memoirs that his father (one of the grands that I knew) installed one light bulb above the kitchen table about 3 months before power arrived.

When the kids arrived home from school to see it burning, that was the most magical experience they ever encountered, even with todays leaps in tech.

The second electrical device bought was an ice box. (that's not a refrigerator, it was for keeping your block of ice frozen longer than the wood shavings in the barn did.) This brought about refrigerators, which brought an end to the pie safe.

I'm reminded that we southerners only recently got power down here. But I wouldn't trade anything for the stories.

Buff, ever read "The old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark?? Great southern stories of granddad and grandson..trust me you'll love it.

In 1953, Ruark began writing a series for Field & Stream magazine entitled The Old Man and the Boy. Considered largely autobiographical (although technically fiction), this heartwarming series ran until late 1961. The stories were characterized by the philosophical musings of the Old Man, who was modeled after both of Ruark's grandfathers, but mostly on Captain Edward "Ned" Hall Adkins, Ruark's maternal grandfather. In the stories, young Bob Ruark grows up hunting and fishing in coastal North Carolina, always guided by the Old Man
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    You don't have to hunt. A jar of creamy JIF, a little time invested in gaining its trust, and finally a good piece of rope, and you can work over about any dog.

Nice. Ha ha.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member

Sometimes I wish I hunted just so I could work over a good bird dog.

This is one of the true pleasures in life.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,314 Senior Member
    Or sweet tea.

Doubling down on the abomination.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,314 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    This reminds me of my friend Jon. Once when we were like 6 or 7 or so he came over to spend the night. So my Mom cooked dinner, just being absent minded, she totally just spaced him being Jewish. Anyway she had made ham for dinner. She realized what she did right as she put it on the table and was like oh crap, and asked him if she could make him something else. He said, no, that he never got to eat ham at home, but liked it. He proceeded to destroy it. Still makes me laugh to this day.

Time to, er, resurrect the old joke about the priest and the rabbi having lunch. The rabbi orders a plain hamburger and a Coke, the priest a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and a milk shake.

P - "Tell me Rabbi, have you ever had a ham sandwich?"

R - "Yes, once long ago before I got religion. It was good.
    By the way, Father, have you ever had sex?"

P - "Yes, once, with my girlfriend, long before I entered the seminary."

pause

R - "Beats a ham sandwich, no?"
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbilly wrote: »

That's funny. When I was in second grade, I slept over at a house of a friend who wasn't Jewish. For dinner, they had milk out on the table. I remember thinking to myself how weird it was to have milk at dinner.
    If you ever google up "sh-t Jews say to goys," one of the lines is always "why do you drink so much milk?" Eden's roommate fills her fridge with milk; Eden can't figure out how anybody drinks so much of that stuff.
  • Boiled peanuts are what the Confederates fed captured Union soldiers on the prison ships. That's why the death rate was so high.
  • Them Yankees died from a lack of Moon Pies it's in the Bible.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    What's the difference between jonny cakes and regular pancakes?

All of this reminds me of a scene in To Kill A Mockingbird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQYMgmo6fg
  • I think hoe cakes has a totally different meaning these days.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Jonny cakes, too, prolly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.