Home The Lodge

A god called money

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,984 Senior Member
The pope made some interesting comments about money.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-attacks-global-economics-worshipping-god-money-100212602.html

Pope attacks global economics for worshipping 'god of money'

By Philip Pullella

CAGLIARI, Sardinia (Reuters) - Pope Francis made one of his strongest attacks on the global economic system on Sunday, saying it could no longer be based on a "god called money" and urged the unemployed to fight for work.

The pope, who later celebrated Mass for some 300,000 people outside the city's cathedral, told them: "We don't want this globalised economic system which does us so much harm. Men and women have to be at the centre (of an economic system) as God wants, not money."

"The world has become an idolator of this god called money," he said.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Rule number 1. Christians shouldn't be allowed to charge interest.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,984 Senior Member
    I agree with this rule.
    Ah, the good old days when only Jews were bankers.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Anybody else do this:

reverse-g600616996.gif

When they read the thread title... was getting ready to do an Eddie Money joke, and then saw who posted it?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,065 Senior Member
    "Money" is just one of the Trinity of Money, Energy and Access To The Sea.
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,065 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Ah, the good old days when only Jews were bankers.

I didn't work out all that well for most Court Jews. The Rothchilds were among the small minority that was able to keep their wealth and pass it on to future generations. Most had their wealth seized or endured royal default after royal default. The luckier among them held on to their heads.
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,788 Senior Member
    Does the pope have some off shore energy credits he hasn't disclosed?
    Ladenburgs, Guggenheims, Warburgs, whatever. It was all good while it lasted.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,455 Senior Member
    Send me money, send me green, Heaven you will meet.
    Make a contribution, and you'll get a better seat.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,788 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Send me money, send me green, Heaven you will meet.
    Make a contribution, and you'll get a better seat.

Is that a Catholic lap dance?
    It's the Pope's Hokey Pokey.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,455 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »

Lyrics from a Metallica song.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    The pope made some interesting comments about money.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-attacks-global-economics-worshipping-god-money-100212602.html

Pope attacks global economics for worshipping 'god of money'

By Philip Pullella

CAGLIARI, Sardinia (Reuters) - Pope Francis made one of his strongest attacks on the global economic system on Sunday, saying it could no longer be based on a "god called money" and urged the unemployed to fight for work.

The pope, who later celebrated Mass for some 300,000 people outside the city's cathedral, told them: "We don't want this globalised economic system which does us so much harm. Men and women have to be at the centre (of an economic system) as God wants, not money."

"The world has become an idolator of this god called money," he said.

And yet there's this:

" "The Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence. She is a greater possessor of material riches than any other single institution, corporation, bank, giant trust, government or state of the whole globe. The pope, as the visible ruler of this immense amassment of wealth, is consequently the richest individual of the twentieth century. No one can realistically assess how much he is worth in terms of billions of dollars."
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,683 Senior Member
    I think I would like to be the next Pope. I'd have Tom Waits do a concert in St Peter's square. Ever wonder how a circular space becomes a "square?" It must be some mystical geometry.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »

No, its the Mormons guiding principle. Pyramid schemes are apparently legal if you wrap them up with enough Jesus. North American Jesus, that is. You can't rake in that kind of cash with a savior that lived solely in the Middle East. I give the Mormons credit for actually fabricating a story the brings 'Murica and Jeebus together... Brilliance, I'll tell ya!
    For the record, I have problems with every single organized Christian religion, not just the Mormons. I don't know enough about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism or the rest to dislike them yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement