An Observation

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,040 Senior Member
Judging by the quality of recent trolls from our resident Angry White Males, I think that the much declaimed decline of the white male probably is justified and understandable in some cases.

Just sayin'.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Judging by the quality of recent trolls from our resident Angry White Males, I think that the much declaimed decline of the white male probably is justified and understandable in some cases.

Just sayin'.

Who are these angry white males? You can send me a PM if you prefer. Maybe we (you, me, Steven, MikeA and Buford) can mentor them like Hex wants MikeA to mentor an urban kid.

Sounds like a great idea, no?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I am the angry white guy. Who wants to mentor me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    angrywhiteman.jpg

Here's an identification guide.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    more betterer if OP had been in white text. Who better to mentor angry white Hex than Buford.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,226 Senior Member
    I'm way too easy going to be angry. My wife often asks me "Don't you ever get angry about anything?"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,820 Senior Member
    Maybe they're not angry, but moody? Testing has indicated that with various runoff entering our waterways and eventually aquifers, the estrogen and pseudoestrogen levels of drinking water is increasing. Also, the increased use of soy in various foods can have pseudoestrogenic effects. Maybe they're just all starting to sync up on their menses?
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member

Just sayin'.
    I think the word "troll" gets tossed around here pretty loosely. I understand that this site is primarily lockstep Left. If a perceived Righty starts a controversial thread (or even responds to a ligit thread) it's normally called a troll by some here. Many Left controversial topic started but none are considered to be "trolls". I'm an Indy but some consider me Righty since I don't fully agree with either party and certainly not lockstep Left or Right.
    If someone disagrees with a majority opinion (still Left majority here, barely)... are they a "troll"? The board is almost balanced now but the remaining hardcore Lefts are crying "troll" every time they speak their opinion. I'm definitely not accusing George of being a hardcore Left or crying "troll" for no apparent reason. This thread just got me thinking about it about how loosely the term is applied here on a daily basis.
    Would love to see more fair and balanced tolerance here since I think the clientele is getting closer to 50/50 and makes for better discussions.
    Just an observation.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,040 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    I think the word "troll" gets tossed around here pretty loosely. I understand that this site is primarily lockstep Left. If a perceived Righty starts a controversial thread (or even responds to a ligit thread) it's normally called a troll by some here. Many Left controversial topic started but none are considered to be "trolls". I'm an Indy but some consider me Righty since I don't fully agree with either party and certainly not lockstep Left or Right.
    If someone disagrees with a majority opinion (still Left majority here, barely)... are they a "troll"? The board is almost balanced now but the remaining hardcore Lefts are crying "troll" every time they speak their opinion. I'm definitely not accusing George of being a hardcore Left or crying "troll" for no apparent reason. This thread just got me thinking about it about how loosely the term is applied here on a daily basis.
    Would love to see more fair and balanced tolerance here since I think the clientele is getting closer to 50/50 and makes for better discussions.
    Just an observation.

Trolling is an art. Some do it well, others are not ready for prime time.

Ditto for responding to trolls.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,226 Senior Member
    Just an observation.

What Swizz said.

Indy here also.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I am the angry white guy. Who wants to mentor me.

Hmm, there appears to be a shortage of applicants.

Are you paying a living wage or are you a shameless exploiter of mentors?
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    Trolling is an art. Some do it well, others are not ready for prime time.

Ditto for responding to trolls.

You are correct. It's also funny when a mod starts a troll post.

just sayin'
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,144 Senior Member
    Just an observation.

Yep
    Couldn't agree more.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member
    Just an observation.

That's exactly what a guy who thinks that (fill in blank with inane belief) _______________________________ would say.

(Practicing Troll skills)
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Are you paying a living wage or are you a shameless exploiter of mentors?

I am getting mentored at the self service aisle.

"Service" as in animal husbandry?

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I understand that this site is primarily lockstep Left.

not sure this was EVER true -- even when we had Pio, Monkey, et al, most of us lefties here are far from lockstep -- for example, all aforementioned are basically pro-gun, not a classical liberal position. Not denying that there was a left-leaning bias to a lot of us -- I'm quite proud to be a lefty, myself -- but I'm not sure that it was ever as lopsided as the righties want to claim -- the protestations that "I'm an independent, not a conservative/republican" come from folks that would fall on the right side of pretty much any political spectrum I know.

And after the most recent purge, I think the board may even lean a little to the right, at least in terms of numbers.
    Scott, just an observation...

Seems to me that on most stuff political and some social, the majority of the posts and/or posters are coming at it from a more liberal perspective, while the conservatives are a little more tight-lipped. Surely there are troll posts from both sides of the aisle, and there are some blatant righties, but from my perspective, most of the talking is done by those on the left. Either this behavior (if true) or the perception of that could be skewing the perception of the slant of this board. That's just my thoughts.

I'll admit to being a bit more right-leaning that left-leaning on a lot of issues, and I do like this board because it offers a differing point of view. On the other hand, the fact that I'm seeing ideas that are somewhat counter to my own may be leading me to overestimate their prevalence because sometimes folks ignore the similar and focus on the disparate views. I wouldn't use the term "lockstep" to describe anyone's thinking, but to me there seems to be more or at least more vocal left-leaners than right.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Senior Member
    Judging by the quality of recent trolls from our resident Angry White Males,

The lack of troll bait right or left is now an endangered species on this board. So many folks run off.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Seems to me that on most stuff political and some social, the majority of the posts and/or posters are coming at it from a more liberal perspective, while the conservatives are a little more tight-lipped. Surely there are troll posts from both sides of the aisle, and there are some blatant righties, but from my perspective, most of the talking is done by those on the left. Either this behavior (if true) or the perception of that could be skewing the perception of the slant of this board. That's just my thoughts.

I'll admit to being a bit more right-leaning that left-leaning on a lot of issues, and I do like this board because it offers a differing point of view. On the other hand, the fact that I'm seeing ideas that are somewhat counter to my own may be leading me to overestimate their prevalence because sometimes folks ignore the similar and focus on the disparate views. I wouldn't use the term "lockstep" to describe anyone's thinking, but to me there seems to be more or at least more vocal left-leaners than right.

Well said.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member

I was quite sincere in my assessment -- I guess right/left are in the eyes of the beholder, though. To me, I just don't see much of a imbalance in terms of poster politics anymore -- a year ago, sure, but these days?? not so much.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Senior Member
    Anyone hear from Joe?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I was quite sincere in my assessment -- I guess right/left are in the eyes of the beholder, though. To me, I just don't see much of a imbalance in terms of poster politics anymore -- a year ago, sure, but these days?? not so much.

There are a couple of hard right in-your-face posters, but no (longer) confrontational lefties.
    I do not doubt your sincerity, and I will say that the gap is much less than it used to be. And I could be wrong in my perceptions. I think that the news cycle has something to do with perception, too. Palin, Santorum, and Bachmann have been out of the news as of late, and that always seemed to bring out several folks for commentary.
  • Palin, Santorum, and Bachmann have been out of the news as of late, and that always seemed to bring out several folks for commentary.

Lemme Check.
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    Darn! If the board gets much more balanced there will be no fun in poking it occasionally!
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    Darn! If the board gets much more balanced there will be no fun in poking it occasionally!

Ah, the return of El Trollo Supremo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.