Home The Lodge

Sure is tough bein a black man in Florida.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Well he was standing next to a car. = to cop. He's stealin from it.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,058 Senior Member
    It's what the police do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Shoot innocent people in their own driveways?

Sieg Heil!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,058 Senior Member
    It's what they do in Los Angeles.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    he's gonna own town hall.

sorry, I'm a cop's kid, and a cop's nephew, and nearly always side with the cops -- but sometimes you gotta say, N.W.A. was right -- f*ck da police.
  • DogwoodDogwood Member Posts: 63 Member
    .... According to Morgan, the two deputies said that Middleton “made a lunging motion” out of the car causing them to “fear for their safety.”

Middleton, Morgan said, “had a metallic object in his hand.” That object turned out to be a flashlight attached to Middleton’s key chain.

A 60 yr old man gets out of a car holding something in his hands, and the cops automatically think it's a gun, they start fearing for their safety so they open fire (only hitting him once in the leg, nonetheless). Sounds like they killed the **** out of the car though! But hey, profiling had nothing to do with it.

How much of an canned excuse does this sound like? My God, can they find nothing more original to say? Or is this the old tried and true standby line in rural north Florida, guaranteed that a white jury won't convict if the peace officer feared for his life. Too bad Gene L isn't on the board anymore. I'd love to read him defending these guys!

SP

<edited for spelling>
    those miniature flashlight guns are killah
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Reminds me of the olden days when four Hotlanta cops, drug enforcement, don'tcha know, killed a 94 year old black lady in her own home 'cause they wanted to make a drop to make theyselves heroes by dropping some weed in her house. Unfortunately they weren't tried for murder. The feds got 'em, though.

Just sayin' ...
    the NAACP and Rev's are just race baiting ... the old days of racism and bigotry are gone they just need to get over themselves and start bootstrapping
    Dogwood wrote: »
    .... According to Morgan, the two deputies said that Middleton &#147;made a lunging motion&#148; out of the car causing them to &#147;fear for their safety.&#148;

Middleton, Morgan said, &#147;had a metallic object in his hand.&#148; That object turned out to be a flashlight attached to Middleton&#146;s key chain.

A 60 yr old man gets out of a car holding something in his hands, and the cops automatically think it's a gun, they start fearing for their safety so they open fire (only hitting him once in the leg, nonetheless). Sounds like they killed the **** out of the car though! But hey, profiling had nothing to do with it.

How much of an canned excuse does this sound like? My God, can they find nothing more original to say? Or is this the old tried and true standby line in rural north Florida, guaranteed that a white jury won't convict if the peace officer feared for his life. Too bad Gene L isn't on the board anymore. I'd love to read him defending these guys!

SP

<edited for spelling>

You ain't never been to rural north Florida has ya? That's a brilliant as an excuse as them two fellers is gonna come up with.
    greenman wrote: »
    That's a brilliant as an excuse as them two fellers is gonna come up with.

that's because nothing more is expected of them and the moment the victim files suit he'll be castigated by the Talk Radioheads

By the way .... the rodding of his leg (as described in the article) with this type of injury isn't a 'gimme' that he'll be able to keep his leg let alone regain full use ... as a matter of fact he's got about a 20% chance of losing it even with a good ortho
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    the NAACP and Rev's are just race baiting ... the old days of racism and bigotry are gone they just need to get over themselves and start bootstrapping

I still think that stereotyping in stressful situations that leads to snap judgements is not racism. It is wrong. But the minute you label them as racists, you have given yourself a heavier burden of proof. Did they shoot him because he was black? No. Would they have shot him if he was white? Probably not. But that does not mean they hold to a belief system that places black people below white people.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    greenman wrote: »
    You ain't never been to rural north Florida has ya? That's a brilliant as an excuse as them two fellers is gonna come up with.

Amadou Diallo was reaching for his wallet, and another kid in NYC was killed for wielding a Three Muskateers bar. It happens all over the place.

We need better and more intensive training to prevent these incidents and make sure shooting is not an automatic response to fear.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,737 Senior Member
    Escambia County is not Florida. It's LA: Lower Alabama.
    But that does not mean they hold to a belief system that places black people below white people.

this contradicts the first part of your statement

you can't say they would treat a white person getting out of a car in their own drive way differently ie likely wouldn't have shot him and at the same time say it's not a system that places black peope below white people

in my book not shooting someone first and asking questions later equates to preferrential treatment

BTW ... claiming he 'lunged' at them while getting out of the car while he was in a driveway and they were in the street is about as a lame story as you can get ... the biggest effing surprise is that they didn't drop a throw away on the ground next to him and put a dime bag in his pocket
    I still think that stereotyping in stressful situations that leads to snap judgements is not racism.

BTW ... any odd person on the street calling someone a 'N' isn't racist it's bigotry and ignorance

being in a position of civil authority in which you can exert force or coercion over another individual and your actions and decisions being based even in part on the ethnicity or religion of another individual is in fact racist
    The act my be racist. But you get into trouble when you insist that the officer must be racist. Because then you have people that are minorities that know him to generally be otherwise. You do not have to be a racist to make a mistake based on race.
    Because then you have people that are minorities that know him to generally be otherwise.

well we are likely going to disagree in a matter of degrees

sociopaths are often known to others as being generally charming and nice (speaking in general and not presuming these cops are such) ... you have proven child molesters whom others (including other children) thought were really great and kind people

even the Z-man found people to give him a two thumbs up as a really nice guy
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,452 Senior Member
    White man shot for holding a water nozzle...

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/local/la-me-ln-water-nozzle-shooting-20130404

Sure is tough bein a white man in California.
    well as we know it's whitey who is the ultimate in being an oppressed victim class

no one gets put down like whitey
    stop white oppression!
    Smoking can kill you.
    joekrz wrote: »
    White man shot for holding a water nozzle...

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/local/la-me-ln-water-nozzle-shooting-20130404

Sure is tough bein a white man in California.

You gotta admit that a water hose nozzle looks a lot more like a handgun than a pack of cigarettes does.
    joekrz wrote: »

Can you say Puerto Rican? I know you can. Also a drill is not a pack of cigarettes and he wasn't in his own driveway.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,570 Senior Member
    Police officers are human and are capable of making mistakes. I don't think that he intended to shoot this person in their driveway because he was an African American.
    This is a case of a police officer that made the wrong decision. Perhaps that is where his training led him. I don't envy anyone for that career choice.

The end.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Can you say Puerto Rican? I know you can. Also a drill is not a pack of cigarettes and he wasn't in his own driveway.

White Puerto Rican

Hey, for the record, anybody know what race the cops are? None of the internet schlock seems to say.
    killer flashlights

I'm going to bet with significant confidence that the odds (factoring for population and similar circumstances) are far greater for an African American male minding their own business getting shot by a cop than for a white male under a similar situation
    Well they have a Muslim name.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement