Guys, here's a failed project at work

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
The company I work for has gotten on a big sustainability kick the past couple of years. this is mainly the results of a handful of people being really fired up about this initiative. We have monthly company wide check ins, and one of the standing topics is sustainability.

About a month or so ago, at our weekly in-office staff meeting, someone suggested that we can recycle the coffee grounds in our k-cups as part of some type of our continued focus on sustainability. I missed this particular staff meeting, so I never got the rationale behind recycling coffee grounds. A coworker brought in one of those sealed and tiny garbage cans that I think get used as a composting way station.

So the goal was that whenever somoene used a k-cup, they'd empty the grounds into this, and then someone would take it home to compost. However, people didn't empty the k-cups, instead they'd pile them up on a plate right near the silver bin. I might make one cup of coffee a week at work (my 2nd of the day as I have one at home every morning), so when I'd make mine, I'd always empty at least 2 k-cups while waiting for mine to brew. I figured I'd at least be +1 in getting the pile reduced. Apparently I was the only one who did this, as soon the pile of k-cups were piled up three levels high.

So this week, I went into our kitchen area and this is the current status of our sustainability project:

IMG_20130730_170403.jpg

I guess this project is over.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    you guys drink a lot of crappy coffee
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    There's one coffee snob here and he makes his own coffee via a french press. The rest of us animals just drink stuff like the starbucks or green mountain offerings.

If you have a google+ account, I think this link will let you look around my office:

https://plus.google.com/103971099074644148324/posts/C9BYve9pbjr

(click the picture in the link to navigate around)
    we have a Keurig in our office too I have yet to hit on a 'pod' I like ... strongly suggest you stay away from the Dunkin Donuts coconut and whatever else crap flavoring is in there

so is that pic supposed to pan around like google streets? all I can get is the fisheye photo but the office looks pretty nice
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    so is that pic supposed to pan around like google streets? all I can get is the fisheye photo but the office looks pretty nice

Yes... if you click the photo after clicking the link, it doesn't expand so you can pan around in it?

Are you on a computer, or mobile device? I don't think it'll pan around on a tablet or phone.
    ya i am in the office on my desktop

so what happens is the cursor on the photo turns into a little hand and then there is an icon center and on the bottom that is some sort of global symbol with a photo icon in the middle, when I click on anything eventually what happens is a window pops up telling me I am the end of your photos but no pan n scan
    On behalf of myself, I accept and give an apology.
    no need it may very be me I was only trying to help out if it wasn't functioning as you intended
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,926 Senior Member
    Worked just fine for me, so well in fact I can see all the parallax issues in your panorama. :cool:

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,041 Senior Member
    I just got the Kuerig and I wonder about those K-cups too. I mean if they just go to the dump they are gonna add up.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I just got the Kuerig and I wonder about those K-cups too. I mean if they just go to the dump they are gonna add up.

If you care about this, then I'd recommend getting an Ekobrew reusable filter.

Since we're an environmental engineering and science company, we don't want to put ourselves out of business.

[cooks lunch on tire fire out back]
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,974 Senior Member
    I don't care enough

have my own espresso machine thanks to Sante's recommendation ... those pod things are un American
    I once met with the executives of a fixed annuity provider in New York state. The prior chairman of this firm was known to be completely whacked.
    The guys running the company told me that the former chairman decided the company could save money by getting rid of its trash service. Rather, employees were given green Hefty bags and were expected to bring their garbage home every night.

That experiment apparently didn't last long.
    http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI

You could just use your own preferred coffee....

Yes but once you have experienced the convenience of the K-cup how do you go back to living like all the rest of the animals?

I actually got a filter for brewing my own with the coffee maker.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    If you're too lazy to fill up a filter for the Keurig, well, you've got problems.

Just my opinion. But then I'm an animal who uses a Mr. Coffee that makes up to 12 cups. Or just 1. Because like Alton Brown, I prefer tools that multitask in my kitchen.
    it is not the filling it, it is the cleaning it. Exhausting I tell ya.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,549 Senior Member
    we have a Keurig in our office too I have yet to hit on a 'pod' I like ... strongly suggest you stay away from the Dunkin Donuts coconut and whatever else crap flavoring is in there

Starbucks house blend isn't bad. I like great coffee but I reserve it for weekends. I use the Keurig to brew fresh roasted and ground Ethiopian Harrar. Amazing coffee! Workdays I just get a med McDonalds with a shot of Espresso.
    Do you guys want to take over this project?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,497 Senior Member
    This is as bad as bottled water. Bream's idea seems the best.

I say everyone box up the K-cups and send them back to Kuerig.

Or maybe look at the K-kap

http://www.amazon.com/My-Kap-Reusable-Piece-K-Cups-Brush/dp/B002TIPU7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375296085&sr=8-1&keywords=k+cap
    it is not the filling it, it is the cleaning it. Exhausting I tell ya.
    I bet you wear lace panties. A real man knows how to clean his coffee maker.
    Cretins all! You're not proper coffee drinkers until you own a burr grinder and coffee roasted no less than 2 days old. Bleach free filters are a must.

K-cups? Blasphemy!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

You would be well on your way to enlightenment with that tool.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I have that one have used it for several years

Sante helped me pick it out

with Fourbucks coffee and the rest it paid for itself in about 4 months
    I bet you wear lace panties. A real man knows how to clean his coffee maker.

A real man doesn't clean his coffee maker. Haven't you watched Gun Smoke?
    Guys... this email from a coworker went out today:

This morning Paul L. was dumping out all the K-Cups we had stacked up, and he was a bit annoyed. Paul is already taking the time to bring the grinds home, so let’s try to do better on our end, as the actual drinkers, to dump the K-Cups out each time we use one. It only takes 30 seconds, and prevents an ugly stack from piling up. I am just as guilty recently, and I will be making a more concentrated effort to take care of mine.

What was unsaid was that Paul L was dumping otu the k-cups after I complained I was the only one doing it and emptied out a bunch of them myself this morning (including taking out all the k-cups in the bin and putting in a new bag, see photo journalistic evidence below). This is ****. My thunder was stolen again.

[turns to yell at sky]
    SHEEEERRRRRBBBB!!!!!

IMG_20130802_085744.jpg
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I read somewhere that you are paying about $1200 a pound for coffee by using those cups.. Juan and his corporate burro thank you..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Fellas, check this out. Your efforts at shaming them into action have worked! The project is back on in full force! Let's get the band back together!

IMG_20130802_152255.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.