Oh Al Gore, You Ole Fear Mongerer...U

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    It was'nt about the pic but rather the link----ya know like a lake at the north pole
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    well I guess other than the obvious speeding up of events----it silences to an extent all those that held up Gore as a fear monger and fraud

What some folks fail to get some times is that people like Al G. are passionate about certain issues---and has nothing to do with conspiracy---just scientific curiousity and development

There are other examples out there other than Al
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,422 Senior Member
    I'm not a global warming denier, but Al Gore has spread more green house gases in a year than I will in my lifetime. I find his policy of do as I say not as I do a little "full of hot air"
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,480 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I'm not a global warming denier, but Al Gore has spread more green house gases in a year than I will in my lifetime. I find his policy of do as I say not as I do a little "full of hot air"

What he said. +100

Oh...And about that alleged Lake...

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/melting-at-north-pole-how-bad-is-it-16294

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/29/about-lake-north-pole
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,030 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    yup---right on que
    Nero fiddles while Rome burns

No surprises here ---did'nt expect any really----NIMBY----**** Wal-Mart's still open

Have a good night boys
    So is Al playing the fiddle or is it anyone who thinks he is a hypocrite?
    Bushart wrote: »
    yup---right on que

No surprises here ---did'nt expect any really----NIMBY----**** Wal-Mart's still open

Have a good night boys

You have to admit that the story you posted is rather misleading regarding the camera and the lake.

The second thing to keep in mind is that melting sea ice at or near the North Pole is actually not a rare event. Observations from the webcams dating back to 2002, and from satellite imagery and nuclear-powered submarines that have explored the ice cover since the Cold War era dating back several decades, show that sea ice around the North Pole has formed melt ponds, and even areas of open water, several times in the past.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp
    The Tennessean also noted that the Gores had been paying a $432 per month premium on their monthly electricity bills in order to obtain some of their electricity from "green" sources (i.e., solar or other renewable energy sources). Other factors (such as the climate in the area where the home is located and its size) make the Gore home's energy usage comparable to that of other homes in the same area.
    Kalee Kreider, a spokesperson for the Gores, pointed out that both Al and Tipper Gore work out of their home and she argued that "the bottom line is that every family has a different carbon footprint. And what Vice President Gore has asked is for families to calculate that footprint and take steps to reduce and offset it."

A carbon footprint is a calculation of the CO2 fossil fuel emissions each person is responsible for, either directly because of his or her transportation and energy consumption or indirectly because of the manufacture and eventual breakdown of products he or she uses.

The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program — electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Kreider added. "They also use compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy efficiency measures and then they purchase offsets for their carbon emissions to bring their carbon footprint down to zero."
    Also, by the end of 2007 the Gores completed renovations that made their home much more energy-efficient:
    Al Gore, who was criticized for high electric bills at his Tennessee mansion, has completed a host of improvements to make the home more energy efficient, and a building-industry group has praised the house as one of the nation's most environmentally friendly.

The former vice president has installed solar panels, a rainwater-collection system and geothermal heating. He also replaced all incandescent lights with compact fluorescent or light-emitting diode bulbs.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,999 Senior Member

Whether Al Gore is a saint or a jerk has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of human activity changing the climate. And its irrelevant and silly to even bring him up at this point.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Whether Al Gore is a saint or a jerk has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of human activity changing the climate. And its irrelevant and silly to even bring him up at this point.

^^ this, x 10.

Al Gore's alleged hypocrisy is the last red herring argument available to the die-hard deniers. Or the closet deniers, who want to sidetrack any serious discussion of climate change but don't want to sound scientifically ignorant in doing so.
    The north pole lake maybe nothing but yet another reminder---another canary down the mine shaft

But I did learn something for 100% certain quite some time ago----those with steadfast opinions to the contrary are very militant in not swaying from their charted course--or party lines even if they were up to their **** in water

It's kinda like the 2nd ammendment of fossil fuels

Now whether we can make change...who knows???

Not trying guarantees something......No change

One reminder that was'nt that long ago
    "Sandy" may become more the norm than just an oddball happening
    Warming oceans now will allow these hurricanes/tropical storms to maintain higher intensity as they travel north----just a little fallout from the obvious

Wonder why Obama is holding Canada's feet to the fire on Co2 emmisions before he allows XL----what does he know that we may not??
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    yup---right on que

What a bunch of ****. Somebody posts a rebuttal and we get the "yeah but," or "keep fiddling." Doesn't matter what the topic.
    If you don't want a discussion, don't want pushback, I have a suggestion....Don't post.

If it gives you (in the royal sense) a chubbie just to say, "no surprise," go somewhere else.
    By the way? What's up with "right on que (sic)" ****? The post went unremarked upon all day, and Bushart had to bump his own thread to get anybody to care.

Bushart brought him up with the topic of this thread. Why you telling Jbilly this :confused:
    The north pole lake maybe nothing but yet another reminder---another canary down the mine shaft

A reminder of what? That events like this have happened before?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/04/26/ice-at-the-north-pole-in-1958-not-so-thick/

I agree with your first sentence. No matter what Al Gore says or doesn't people should decide on their own to do something about it or not. However, Al Gore is the face of climate change/global warming and I say he is a **** poor spokesman for the job. This is the same reason say Rosie O’Donnell is not a spokeswoman for Weight Watchers and doesn't run PSAs for anti-obesity. Does these mean we should all be giant fat @$$es and eat 6 Big Mac's a day, of course not. Al Gore's "job" is to be a walking billboard/advertisement, his "product" is climate change, does the fact that he creates more pollution than you are do mean we should crank our AC down to 60 (about 15 C for those up North) in the summer and the furnace up to 80 (27) in the winter; of course not. Should people be capable of thinking and deciding things for themselves...gee wouldn't that be great. Unfortunately that is not a reality. Obviously advertising works or else why would there be so **** many.
    That being said, you are correct, people should do something about it, but until you can convince the vast majority of the world’s population that there is a problem things won’t change. I guess you can say there is no such thing as bad publicity, so maybe Al is the right guy for the job. But there will be many who look at his empty words who will simply do nothing.
    Steven wrote: »
    What a bunch of ****. Somebody posts a rebuttal and we get the "yeah but," or "keep fiddling." Doesn't matter what the topic.
    If you don't want a discussion, don't want pushback, I have a suggestion....Don't post.

If it gives you (in the royal sense) a chubbie just to say, "no surprise," go somewhere else.

Well when it comes to ****...I would not question your expertise

If you care to re-read
    i Posted a F'n link---no comments other than it is apparent what Gore was preaching has come to pass in this instance.

Now when the denial club rings in to defend a tangent opinion---it is no surprise---thus the fiddle comment---been done to death

Hopefully this will meet with your self appointed moderator status
    In this instance? Why don't you read the rebuttals, smart guy? Something about lakes happen all the time? The camera isn't in the North Pole? The lake being bigger than normal because of the weather in 2007? You know, stuff like that?

And then get back to us on why you think that's ****. That's how you have an argument/discussion.

And by the way? Saying why this instance doesn't prove a **** thing isn't a tangential opinion if you're using this instance to prove your point.
    And fearmonger is the word you're trying to spell.

Seriously? Who peed in your Cheerios?

By the way the site that was used is anything but a deniers site, in fact there are many articles that state that GW is real and man made there. But if you want to hang your hat on that one article, go ahead.
    I agree with your first sentence. No matter what Al Gore says or doesn't people should decide on their own to do something about it or not. However, Al Gore is the face of climate change/global warming and I say he is a **** poor spokesman for the job.

Didja read the Snopes article?

BTW the vast majority of the world does believe it is real. Unfortunately that does not get us past the filibuster. The Republicans only believe in majority rule and democracy when they are not in the minority.
    Hello? Isn't this the same EXACT point you made to Yat the other day? A rebuttal isn't a "yeah but?"

Try this for size:

Me: WalMart makes America better.
    You: WalMart doesn't pay its worker's a living wage and is subsidized by the U.S. Treasury
    Me: Right on cue, here come the libs with their "yeah but."

That's ****, right? Same deal here.

I'm not smart enough to deny man-made global warming or to say it's a done deal. I do not have a ton of belief in computer models, and I'm always skeptical of something everybody knows.
    All I'm saying is that if somebody's going to say Example X is proof, then he should back it up when somebody says it isn't.
    Why do you have to get so pissed off about it?

Perhaps this was not such a bad idea after all.

This message is hidden because Steven is on your ignore list.

Apparently you and I are incapable of civil discourse.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    So is Al playing the fiddle or is it anyone who thinks he is a hypocrite?

That you are comparing your greenhouse gas emissions to Al's is just silly. You are comparing apples to clown hats.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Al Gore=messenger.
    Kill messenger=problem doesn't exist

BTW I'm all for the gas and oil industry fracking Rush's butt crack.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    What's being missed in all this back and forth banter is that bushart's article is a bit misleading.
    Apparently you and I are incapable of civil discourse.

Did I insult you?

Why did Bushart **** me off? Cause it's the same bull, different day. And it was so freaking obvious.
    joekrz wrote: »
    What's being missed in all this back and forth banter is that bushart's article is a bit misleading.

Yeah, but.
    In this instance? Why don't you read the rebuttals, smart guy? Something about lakes happen all the time? The camera isn't in the North Pole? The lake being bigger than normal because of the weather in 2007? You know, stuff like that?

And then get back to us on why you think that's ****. That's how you have an argument/discussion.

And by the way? Saying why this instance doesn't prove a **** thing isn't a tangential opinion if you're using this instance to prove your point.
    And fearmonger is the word you're trying to spell.

Well I know you are really smart and all---but maybe the mis-spell is intentional---you know like the "U" as well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.