Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey Guy, Maybe

Spey Guy, Maybe

I bought a rod..I bought a reel..I bought a line.. Lessons sched for May.. I'm goin' be ready for Steel..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

sherb
    You won't go back willingly. Your single-hander will feel like a toy after spey casting.

Nice. In 2-1/2 weeks our steel season opens in northern WI.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm fortunate to be a days drive to Bulkley/Skeena Drainage. Pacific Salmon and Steelhead starting in spring and extending into late fall. Double hauling a 9wt was getting tiring, so the Spey had to happen..

Mike

sherb
    Yeah, that's ass. A spey is so much better. And not just for distance. its nice to be able to change direction.

I'm liking the idea of minimal backcast, I can see where that would really handy..still not sure of landing a fishing without help though..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ricinus View Post
    I'm liking the idea of minimal backcast, I can see where that would really handy..still not sure of landing a fishing without help though..

Mike
    Just bring friend along. You go stand in woods and hold rod out while friend nets fish.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

sherb

Mike
    just beach the fish. That's the way to handle them. I never use a net while using a two-hander.

Pretty much all Steelheading up here is C&R, so beaching is a no-no. I never use a net either, preferring to tail the fish and drop the rod in the water to free up my hands. I will admit this has led to some lively situations with a hot fish...

Mike

Mike
    The classic way to land a sizable fish is to get in the river and stand behind it when it is played out. Grasp it near the tail and push while lifting the rod. There probably are videos out there demonstrating the technique.

How big are the rivers you guys fish? Spey casting with a one-handed rod is effective if you don't need to have a lot of line out. The Lake Erie tribs I fish are too small to need a two-handed rod in most places, but one-handed Spey casts are useful when you are backed up against a shale cliff.
    Last edited by George K; 12-24-2016 at 04:46 AM.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.