Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Skull

Fish Skull

I've been messing around with Fish Skulls. Anyone else using the heads?

I tied the patterns in steelhead and sea-run cutthroat patterns. I've had luck using the patterns for bass with colors meant to represent bait fish.
    Last edited by Gene Trump; 10-25-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Gene,

Cool flies. Do they ride point up or down?

Regards,
    Scott
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know

Scott, the heads are thicker at one spot so it depends on how you install them as to if the hook point rides up or down... same as using dumbbell eyes. I installed the Skulls upside down for the warm water patterns so the point rides up and thus, weedless. Weedless is not needed for salmon/steelhead/sea-run cutthroat patterns so these are tied so the hook point rides down.

The heads give you the option... weedless or not. BTW: they are not as heavy as they look. I'm not sure what metal they use for making them and they are hollow so while they do add weight, it isn't nearly as much as you'd think. Primarily, they give a nifty look to a streamer type pattern and a place to mount the eyes (which come with the Skulls) and the weedless option.

Scott, this is the bait fish immitation that I tied weed-less for the bass at the local farm pond. They liked it.

I've used a few, really like them.

They also make a sculpin head that's designed to scoot along the bottom, or close to it. Flies I tied with that one were unintentionally effective on walleye.....

The heads meant to represent skulpins are sold as Sculpin Helmets. I bought a package but have yet to try tying a pattern with the product. I don't think they are meant to target a specific species of fish so if walleye like the patterns made with the heads, than they work!

I Bought the sculpin heads to make pike streamers (and smallie streamers as a secondary objective)...looking at them in the store, it seemed to me they'd be more effective than the regular Fish Skulls at keeping the hook point up. I bought a bunch of each anyway....

They work great for pike and smallies, it just so happened that I picked up a walleye or three on them as well.

That tears it... I'll have to give them a try. Are you using rabbit strips for the body of your patterns or a different design?

BTW, one of the things I do is coat the heads with hard UV cured material after I have the eyes in, then zap it so they can't come out no mater what I bang them into.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Trump View Post
    That tears it... I'll have to give them a try. Are you using rabbit strips for the body of your patterns or a different design?
    We cross posted....sorry about that. I'm only about a year into fly tying and haven't really got the hang of rabbit strips yet...I've used a couple, but haven't liked what I've created.

I've used a lot of bucktail, various kinds of shiny stuff and marabou. Working well so far.