Thread: on the cheap it has to be but how cheap

on the cheap it has to be but how cheap

So since the trout fishing is so far away from Southern California I have decided that I need try to do some shore and bay fishing on the really really cheap. The coast is a 40 minute drive. If I am at work it is a 10 minute drive. I have this Scott STS 8 weight rod with a Battenkill Larger arbor reel, 1st generation. I have a new Forty Plus Extreme distance floating line and an new Cortland Precision subsurface 250 grain sink tip line for the spare spool. I can get only get about 100 - 125 yards of backing on the reel.

I am wondering if that larger arbor reel is will do the job. Or if I really need to splurge and buy something line an Okuma SLV 8/9 reel with extra spool. Yeah laugh, but for right now that is a real splurge for me.

Don't laugh. The Okuma reels are all that bad. They are even quite good for the money. One manufacturer I know said, "They made a mistake pricing them so low. Made their image seem like damaged merchandise." The fish you are likely to catch around San Diego will not cause you a problem with the Batenkill, large arbor...or the Okuma. In fact, there are many reels available today that will crank in some pretty big fish for those who don't want or need to dull the edge of husbandry.

My first fly reel was a JRyall and I think they are terrific. They are (or were) on the low side of moderately priced reel by fly fishing standards. It is worth looking at those too.

Why is the trout fishing "so far away from Southern California"? I visited Los Angeles not too long ago, met up with a friend from this forum, and we were trout fishing in about 45 minutes. They weren't big fish, but I was casting dry flies and small midges to colorful wild rainbows in a small creek, and that's just fine in my book.

bd

Brian, I knew someone would ask. I don't know precisely where this fishing near LA is but I have at least scoped it out on my topo software. It is two hours and 40 minute to three hours and 20 minute drive to there at 14.5 miles per gallon at about 3.80 a gallon. Just for the time to drive to and from it would be worthwhile to do some fishing closer to home. Then there is this inconvience that I get layed off at the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonwood Bob View Post
    Don't laugh.

BB, I like that forum name of yours. Thank you very much for your input. I think i will give it a try with the Battenkill then and see how it goes.

Scruffy, I used to write a column in a now defunct 60's style newspaper called the Mangrove News. I was a university professor at the time, and to protect my anonymity since I used my expanded vocabulary, and views, I wrote aka Butttonwood Bob. It was fun to hear folks speculate on who that masked man might be?? Go to Facebook and ask to join the Poontangle Group. I am Robert Brown, no longer incognitio.
    BTW--I lived in Corona del Mar for a while during a sabbatical. Loved it, and San Diego.