Thread: Dough ball recipe

Dough ball recipe

What recipe do you use?

I have had good luck with corn meal.

Dear Buford,

While it's not exactly fly fishing I've also had good luck with cornmeal. Here's how I make my doughbait.

1 cup cornmeal
    1 tablesoon sugar
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 teaspoon salt

I mix those ingredients dry in a bowl. To that I add a capfull or two, or three of vanilla extract. I gradually add water and mix it into a dense paste. You want the stuff to stay together but you don't want it so wet that it sort of flows. It should be the consistency of Play-Doh. I split it into two equal sized balls and wrap them in a piece of old cotton shirt and drop them into boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. I take them out, drain off the excess water, and while they are still warm wrap them in aluminum foil.

By the time I get to to the lake I am going to fish the stuff is beginning to vulcanize! I take a ball of it about the size of the end of my thumb and knead it on to a # 6 treble hook and lob it out into the lake with no weight. You just stick the rod in a forked stick and wait for a bite.

For a change of pace and little more scent and flavor I sometimes add cherry or strawberry Jello to the dry mix as I am mixing it up. A half a box of Jello powder will turn the whole mess a bright color and make it smell yummy.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
    Last edited by Tim Murphy; 07-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.

I had a blast behind Canonsburgh damn with dough ball and carp.

Dear Buford,

If you want to, you can take a ball of doughbait and about 1 hour before you commence to fishing launch some chunks the size of the end of your thumb into the water to chum 'em in. I've also done wads of frozen corn and put 'em out with a wrist rocket slingshot.

It's carp fishing, the rules are strictly optional.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :-)

I support this

Do they bite on chewing tobacco?

When I was a kid in the 50's, a nice old man saw me carp fishing in the Ohio Canal and gave me some wonderful advice. He said that Ry-Crisp crackers made an excellent dough ball bait, and he was right! You simply take one cracker, dip it briefly in the water, and mold it into a few small dough balls that will tenaciously cling to an embedded hook. What could be handier? No storage problem; I kept a box in my car trunk for years, before converting totally to fly fishing. Nowadays, I catch them on my Pink Wonder clouser.

Steve

I haven't fished for carp in years, but I used to do a lot of it in my younger years. We had a neighbor down the street that used to let us fish his pond for carp all the time all we had to do was ask. We never used any thing fancy. Just opened the bread basket and grabbed whatever was in there. We would form a nice tight ball before putting it on the hook then let er fly with lots of weight to get it down to the bottom quickly. We would each catch 3 or 4 carp in an hour. That was a lot of fun.
    Well, I aint always right but I've never been wrong.....

http://rvrwader.blogspot.com

An old post I know, but I have been MIA for awhile. However, I have caught hundreds of Carp this last season on a softhackle glowbug.

Easy to tie

http://utahflygoddess.blogspot.com/