Thread: Snook and Bonefish

Snook and Bonefish

I'm doing research on what type of flies to use for bonefish and snook. What flies to should I use during the summer and spring months? Also, what type of line is best to use? Floating, sinking, or sink tip?

I don't have enough expertise on bonefish to help you much there. But for snook, I have had a lot of luck with big white clouser minnows.

Before I started fly fishing, I used to catch snook around Ft. Meyers by bottom bouncing white bucktails along the beach around passes - whereever there was some current, really. I caught a lot of ladyfish the same way.

A big white clouser is functionally the same as a white bucktail jig that you'd fish on a spinning rod, so you can use it the same way.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Brian D! This information is very helpful.

(Can't help with Bonefish. I'm by no means an expert, but I do fish for SW Florida Snook frequently)

There are a bazillion patterns that will work. Baitfish flies are a good choice. Clousers and Deceivers work very well.

I tie a white gurgler on a #2 34007 hook (bucktail, pearl estaz, white foam) that is a ball to fish.

Off the beach in the summer time, EP mullets sized to match the hatch and Norm's Crystal Schminnows (super easy to tie) work well.

I use floating lines 95% of the time. Sink tips when the surf is up off the beach. White is usually right in the summertime. Chat/white, olive/white/ chart/yellow, etc., etc. works as well year round...

(Please don't hold them "like a bass". This can/will kill them!)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    (Can't help with Bonefish. I'm by no means an expert, but I do fish for SW Florida Snook frequently)

There are a bazillion patterns that will work. Baitfish flies are a good choice. Clousers and Deceivers work very well.

I tie a white gurgler on a #2 34007 hook (bucktail, pearl estaz, white foam) that is a ball to fish.

Off the beach in the summer time, EP mullets sized to match the hatch and Norm's Crystal Schminnows (super easy to tie) work well.

I use floating lines 95% of the time. Sink tips when the surf is up off the beach. White is usually right in the summertime. Chat/white, olive/white/ chart/yellow, etc., etc. works as well year round...

(Please don't hold them "like a bass". This can/will kill them!)

Good luck!
    Okay, thanks!