Thread: Lake Champlain Landlocks?

Lake Champlain Landlocks?

So, I'm headed out tomorrow for some salmon on the lake trolling streamers. Anyone have any reports?

Beautiful day on the lake - near calm, overcast, air temps in the low 50's, water temps in the high 40's. Saw a decent number of bait clouds on the sonar, but only had three or four hits, no hook-ups. Saw several rises, but no birds working. We were trolling 2 hook tandem streamers with a single hook fly in front, four lines out, so it wasn't like they didn't have a selection! There were 6 or 7 boats clustered around Red Rocks point, just south of Burlington. We did get boarded by the Coast Guard out of Burlington for a routine inspection. Brand new boat with a full CG package came in handy - passed with flying colors.

Check out the pix in the BFP for Sunday - 29 Inch LL in Willsboro Bay. I hear, indirectly, they're hitting in Converse Bay. Heard from the Coast Guard guy who boarded my boat for 1/2 an hour, that no one was seeing any near Burlington.

In case you're wondering if anyone is reading this... I am. Nice fish.

I was in the area when you were fishing (parents in P-burgh). Have you ever fished the spring run on the Saranac?

Thanks. I was feeling a little weird writing to myself.

I keep about 1 in 4 or so. This one was the first salmon in our new boat and was big enough, so I wanted to see what a fish that cost several thousand dollars per pound would taste like. It was delicious and it fed 4 of us.

I used to fish the Saranac every year for a stretch. Best fish there was a 27" on a borrowed 8 weight - made even better by the fact that a crowd of about 20 people watched me catch it from a bridge and a crew of TU people watched me from shore as I put it back. It took me almost 20 minutes to land in the current - it was fresh out of the lake and cartwheeled several times, ran my line out on several strong runs and finally came to hand tired but OK. I spent 15 minutes reviving him and then he took off like a shot. There are some benefits to fishing right in town - Police Station Hole where the foot bridge goes over. Did you see any action in the river when you were here? We fish the Winooski some on this side and a few of us have been down to the Boquet near Essex/Willsboro, NY.

Saw a boat out trolling on the lake on February 28 or 29! Not much ice, none on the broad lake!