Thread: Hey Steven

Hey Steven

Now it's been approx. a year since your re-location....How is it going?

Have you settled into a different pace?

More important have you found any fishin spots?----When I lived in NW Ontario, summertime saw many Iowa plates in my area

I have found as an adult moving into strange areas (Or different)---making friends can be a challenge--people sometimes get clique-e

But with our population tending to move more today---many more are in same boat

Just wondering if you miss the big city I guess?

Been a year and a half now.

I like it here. It's the burbs, but I grew up in the burbs so no big deal. Definitely things I miss about the Chicago (like decent restaurants), but lots of good things here as well. My wife, on the other hand isn't as happy, and would move back to Chicago in a heartbeat.

Watching Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks is a problem. Bulls and Blackhawks are on Comcast and Cubs are on WGN. We don't get either here but we're considered to be in the viewing area so I can't get the MLB, NHL or NBA streams to watch.

We're still renting the same place, which is another source of semi-friction. I live about 12 minutes west of my office while the office is about 20 minutes west of Des Moines. My wife would like to live closer to downtown. There are some gorgeous neighborhoods, but I look at the older houses and know they're just going to be money pits. I'd stay where we are (maybe not the same house) or move west. There's way less infrastructure, but we'd get more house and land. She's not into that.

Between work and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, I've made a lot of friends, so that's all good. My wife plays tennis in a group of women that includes Kyle Orton's wife - Bearsssss.

No new fishing spots in Iowa although there are trout in the northeast corner as the Driftless extends down that far. Went a couple of times last season with my company's Chief Investment Officer (he's just gotten into it), and we drove up to Southwest Wisconsin. The drive is about the same from Chicago - although the 4.5 hours gets you to different SWW streams.

To be honest, my interest in fishing has waned a bit. I haven't tied a fly in about two years. Been as fixated on BJJ as I used to be on fishing and tying. Videos on Czech nymphing have been replaced by videos on armbars.
    Last edited by Steven; 02-14-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Good it's working out for the most part---I understand with the wife thing

I've moved quite a few times over the years---funny thing is the mind seems to only remember the good times of where we used to live

When I was in high school---one of our teachers was from Czechoslovakia ---he bailed outta there during the communist take-over---his advice to us was---If you leave some place---be careful in returning, as the same reasons you left for originally will happen again

And I've weighed that over the years---for the most part he was right I believe

My fly fishing is limited these days as well----Since moving to Eastern Ontario---I'm back into LM bass with my boat---I'm having way too much fun firing top water frogs deep into pads