Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dog whistle or no?

Here in PA county sherifs (elected) and deputies are not law enforcement officers in the traditional sense. They can make arrests, but they do not go on patrol or investigate crimes. Their main duties are serving eviction notices and transporting county prisoners back and forth to court. State and local police handle other duties.

I don't know if PA is unique is this.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Here in PA county sherifs (elected) and deputies are not law enforcement officers in the traditional sense. They can make arrests, but they do not go on patrol or investigate crimes. Their main duties are serving eviction notices and transporting county prisoners back and forth to court. State and local police handle other duties.

I don't know if PA is unique is this.
    Pretty much the same here. Back when I did a lot of civil litigation I had sheriffs serve all sorts of process-summonses, subpoenas, writs of possession, writs of attachment and, this nice old nugget of Anglo American law, writs of replevin.

Some towns contract with county sheriffs (who per the state constitution are elected) for law enforcement patrols.

Pretty sure the sheriff of Nottingham is the villain.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

The usual suspects indeed. LOL.

The world is watching what we do today in America. They will know what we do here today, and they will treat all of us accordingly in the future—our soldiers, our diplomats, our journalists, anybody who travels beyond these borders. I hope we remember this as we go forward. I sincerely hope we can protect what has been called the "great writ"—a writ that has been in place in the Anglo-American legal system for over 700 years.

-Senator Barack Obama
    Floor Statement September 27, 2006
    Last edited by NZ Indicator; 02-13-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    Well, I wonder if he had invoked “Franco-American” while talking to people in Louisiana if they would say it was a dog whistle.
    why would he be talking about Spaghetti O's in Louisiana?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan