Thread: I LOVE a parade

I LOVE a parade

As any Vet would know, when the troops hear they are going to parade for the Chief, it means a long period of cancelled time off, mindless drilling, and polishing every goddamn thing, including the tanks. Its no favor for the troops, or the pavement that has to handle all those 20 ton tanks. All for the chief to gloat. Not that such a dumb thing would ever happen in America.

You know, until you mentioned it, I had forgotten how heavy those tanks were. They will tear the shit out of the asphalt. An Abrams tank weighs 65 tons. Unless they plan to reinforce the parade route with concrete. . . we weren't allowed to drive on the roads for that very reason.

One more reason to oppose the parade.

But the real reason is something I've been thinking about. Its the same reason I think the president ought to mail the State of the Union in. If we are going to have a republican form of government, we need to act like republicans. And that needs to come from the top down.

It makes one wonder, though. . .when Ceasar crossed the Rubicon, did he know that he was ending the Republican era in Rome?

According the series "Rome" he did.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    ...But the real reason is something I've been thinking about. Its the same reason I think the president ought to mail the State of the Union in. If we are going to have a republican form of government, we need to act like republicans. And that needs to come from the top down.
    Two thumbs up. Gore Vidal never said it better in any of his innumerable rants against the "imperial presidency".
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.