Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the big deal with this Memo?

I don't see how it matters one iota whether the warrant would have been issued with or without acknowledging that the dossier was paid for by opposition to Trump.

If the FBI and DOJ knew this, and didn't disclose it, heads should be cut off and put on spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I don't see how it matters one iota whether the warrant would have been issued with or without acknowledging that the dossier was paid for by opposition to Trump.

If the FBI and DOJ knew this, and didn't disclose it, heads should be cut off and put on spikes.
    Disclose it to whom?

The FISA Court

Is that required? Legally, I mean.

I'm not trolling, I really don't know if the FISA court requires disclosure of the source of the information.

Politics has muddled this thing so badly its hard to know, and I'm too lazy to read the statute.

I don't know if it's legally required, but to not disclose it strikes me as misleading.

Maybe it's just on TV, but don't prosecutors have to bring forth exculpatory evidence? I equate what happened with the FISA Court to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Maybe it's just on TV, but don't prosecutors have to bring forth exculpatory evidence? I equate what happened with the FISA Court to this.
    No, that's a real thing. It just doesn't apply in every context. I'd maybe look at it a different way. Is the source of the information ispo facto exculpatory? I can't see how. Normally exculpatory evidence requires factual evidence that would lessen the defendant's guilt or mitigate a possible sentence.

My office Fourth Amendment expert says that the source would have to be disclosed if it was relied on in State Court, but he doesn't know anything more than I do about FISA.

So there you go.

Some more political muddle. Schiff on Russia TV arguing for more FISA transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I don't buy this one bit, and I really don’t understand how anyone can. Partisan politics aside, they got a FISA warrant based on unverified dossier that was paid for by the opposition to the administration it was directed at. That’s fact. They failed on multiple occasions to disclose the connections. Mccabe admitted that without the dossier there would be no FISA warrant. The dems fought tooth and nail against releasing this doc claiming national security risks.

“Second, we knew that Steele shopped the information in the dossier to various reporters to try to get them published during the election. Third, the contents of this dossier were so unverified that virtually all of the reporters declined to run the story during the campaign.”

“However, my greatest concern is what is not in the dossier: classified information “jeopardizing national security.” Leaders like Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) declared that the committee had moved beyond “dangerous irresponsibility and disregard for our national security” and “disregarded the warnings of the Justice Department and the FBI.”
    Now we can read the memo. There is a sharp and alarming disconnect between the descriptions of Pelosi and the House Intelligence Committee’s Ranking Minority Member Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and the actual document. It clearly does not contain information that would reveal sources or methods.”

That’s a cherry alright. A big fat juicy one that certainly needed picking.

Did anyone notice how after it was released the Dems turned it from a bomb blast to the intelligence community, to a nothing burger?
    Duuuuuuude,

Wow. Just, wow. You (and Fox News) are entitled to your own opinion but you can't make up your own facts. I know you distrust traditional media but go read a WSJ or NYT article or three and then get back with us.

Just for starters, Carter Page has been investigated previously in 2013 for possible Kremlin ties. Also, was the FISA warrant granted simply because of the Steele dossier? Who says? Devin Nunes? Correct me if I'm wrong but he did not even have access to the raw intel for which his memo is supposed to be based upon! He recused himself from the investigation months ago because of his ineptitude! What other materials did they present to the court in the FISA application? Any idea? Me neither! But I will bet you anything and everything that they didn't go to a judge solely with a hackneyed, political-driven BS 'dossier' and say "Here ya go, give us permission to spy on an American citizen because, DURRR." To think otherwise is utterly ridiculous!

Look, man. Get out of the alternate reality that has been created by the Trump Media Conglomerate. This memo is nothing but a bunch of unsourced right-wing talking points.
    Last edited by Shawn C.; 02-07-2018 at 12:27 AM.