Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Really Necessary?

But that isn't the point is it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's up to the President. It could be.

Personally I say let them stay unless they've been arrested. Arrested for ANYTHING, gets them deported. The last thing we need is more criminals, we got plenty of them from south of the border already.

Maybe they shouldn't call it "Temporary" Protected Status?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The law hasn't been adhered to. But that's a sunk cost and really shouldn't be part of the calculation regarding whether to now let them stay.

Yeah, they were admitted on a "temporary" basis. I get that. But they have been here for ten years. Being hard assed just for the sake of being hard assed doesn't seem like good policy.

It all goes to the larger issue of the fact that there are a lot of people in the country who either entered the country illegally or were admitted on a temporary basis, but have been here a long time and are productive members of society. I fully understand that cutting slack for them may encourage others to come. But, I think that a rigorous, i.e., challenging (no criminal record, documentation of long term presence in the country, etc) naturalization program would be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    Yeah, they were admitted on a "temporary" basis. I get that. But they have been here for ten years. Being hard assed just for the sake of being hard assed doesn't seem like good policy.

It all goes to the larger issue of the fact that there are a lot of people in the country who either entered the country illegally or were admitted on a temporary basis, but have been here a long time and are productive members of society. I fully understand that cutting slack for them may encourage others to come. But, I think that a rigorous, i.e., challenging (no criminal record, documentation of long term presence in the country, etc) naturalization program would be OK.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Uhmmm...no.
    Nor a virgin, if you are referring to the joke about about Jesus was supposed to have been born in ___________ (fill in the blank)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    No.

But outside of upholding the law (ten years late) is there a good reason for doing this? Will forcing these people back to El Salvador make life better or worse for the rest of us?
    Don't see how it could be worse.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

We're at full employment, Buford, so yeah, removing a ton of employed immigrants could make it worse.

But let's suppose it didn't make things better or worse...it certainly makes things worse for the people we're deporting. From a utilitarian standpoint, why should we do it?

It makes no difference to us, and is a major negative to them. Does doing this make any sense?