Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Really Necessary?

The inn is closed was Have Rod's favorite line to justify his anti-immigrant stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The inn is closed was Have Rod's favorite line to justify his anti-immigrant stance.

"I'm inside, so it's OK to close the barn door" is another way of putting it.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    We're at full employment, Buford, so yeah, removing a ton of employed immigrants could make it worse.
    Others wouldn't step in and take those jobs?

But let's suppose it didn't make things better or worse...it certainly makes things worse for the people we're deporting. From a utilitarian standpoint, why should we do it?

It makes no difference to us, and is a major negative to them. Does doing this make any sense?
    I guess I have mixed feelings on this. Why should we keep allowing exceptions to immigration? Kind of seems with immigrants that they think "if we can just get there and manage to stay under the radar long enough they will let us stay forever"

Who? We're at full employment. Fun Iowa Factoid: Ames, Iowa (the home of Iowa State) has the lowest unemployment in the nation at 1%.

I hear you, but deporting people who came here legally, have been here for 10 years legally (not under the radar) and even have kids born here is closing the barn door long, long, long after the horse has left.

Who? I'm sure we still have people sitting in the job lines waiting for something to come up.

I get what you are saying though, that's why I have mixed feeling on the whole deal.

You'll always have some level of frictional unemployment. We're beginning to see real wage increases which speaks to the lack of slack in employment.

Well with approx 83 Million more people on this planet this year over last----Leaders better soon come up with an idea on immigration...and finite resources

It appears that Thomas Maltus just stopped by to say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    I guess I have mixed feelings on this. Why should we keep allowing exceptions to immigration? Kind of seems with immigrants that they think "if we can just get there and manage to stay under the radar long enough they will let us stay forever"
    So basically it is not about economic impact with you. You just don't like immigrants.

99% of us are from immigrant heritage and our forbearers had to do just that. Stay under the radar and they could stay forever. You know what my great grandfather had to do to come her? Get on a boat. That's it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    So basically it is not about economic impact with you. You just don't like immigrants.
    Or maybe Joe just believes laws should be enforced. That's my takeaway from both Joe and Buford.