Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More public land sold for pennies on the dollar.

More public land sold for pennies on the dollar.

Never mind the statue issue, how was this even legal? It's very short sighted.

MEMPHIS — The city of Memphis sold two public parks containing Confederate monuments to a non-profit Wednesday in a massive, months-in-the-planning operation to take the statues down overnight Wednesday.

The City Council unanimously approved the sale of Health Science Park, home of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, and its easement on Fourth Bluff Park, home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, for $1,000 each to Memphis Greenspace Inc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...val/971882001/

Interesting loop hole they made. I wonder who's going to maintain the parks now that they don't belong to the city.

A few years ago Hanover, PA sold a few square feet of land in a public park to a civic organization in order not to remove a monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments from public land. I'm sure this technique is a common practice.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

"More public land sold for pennies on the dollar."
    This is misleading. It is not "public land". It is/was private property owned by the City. The City allowed "public use", but the public never had "ownership" of that land. The City (as owner) may restrict, regulate, or even disallow public use as they see fit. They may also sell their property. The new owners have the same rights as property owners.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by swizz View Post
    "More public land sold for pennies on the dollar."
    This is misleading. It is not "public land". It is/was private property owned by the City. The City allowed "public use", but the public never had "ownership" of that land. The City (as owner) may restrict, regulate, or even disallow public use as they see fit. They may also sell their property. The new owners have the same rights as property owners.
    I don't agree. The city is there because the people pay for it to exist. We own city hall, city hall doesn't own us. I would think there would be some sort of legal requirements to sell off a city park. Not just forming a LLC and voting to sell city property to yourself for an outrageously good deal. Hell, if that's legal, expect to see the whole city sold soon.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    A few years ago Hanover, PA sold a few square feet of land in a public park to a civic organization in order not to remove a monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments from public land. I'm sure this technique is a common practice.
    In Rubidoux California, they sold a parcel of a public park to a private partnership in order to keep a controversial cross from being removed.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    In Rubidoux California, they sold a parcel of a public park to a private partnership in order to keep a controversial cross from being removed.
    Bypassing the legal system where public property and monuments is wrong and I still don't understand how this can stand. It opens the door to all kinds of abuse.

A City Park is private property of the City. No legal system is bypassed. The End.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

Swizz is right, the city can buy, sell or trade land as it sees fit. As long as the council buys into it. The city here just traded a prime piece of undeveloped land to a developer for a POS piece of land. The stipulation was that he must build a certain number of houses that will be low income. The land they got in return can only be open space because of the water table.
    In my mind it was a horrible trade because they paid a bundle for that land and gave it away. The developer on the other hand is getting rich from the trade. He's probably the mayor's brother in law.

Quote Originally Posted by swizz View Post
    A City Park is private property of the City. No legal system is bypassed. The End.
    The Tennessee Historical Commission doesn't agree either. Bye bye historical monuments, etc, that aren't PC, and none of them are.
    Last edited by MikeA; 12-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.