Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    But, Corporations are.... People......... Why do I have to pay taxes while these PEOPLE don't!
    I'm confused too.

And so is Bill Moyers, who famously said "I'll believe that corporations are people whenTexas executes one."
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

•Walmart is increasing its starting wage rate for hourly employees in the U.S. to $11, following the passage of new tax legislation.
    •The company said it will also expand maternity and parental leave benefits, and provide a one-time cash bonus for eligible employees of as much as $1,000.
    •Walmart said it's still accessing other "potential additional investments" that could come after the new tax laws.
    Wow, now Walmart joins Target in being one whole U.S. dime higher than the median hourly wage for retail sales workers. It's nice that they are doing it, but what does it say about what they pay their non-management employees? They're also closing 63 Sam's Clubs, although some of those employees will be transferred or re-hired as warehouse distribution staff.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    I'm confused too.

And so is Bill Moyers, who famously said "I'll believe that corporations are people whenTexas executes one."
    Corporate execution tends to be federal. Example A: Arthur Andersen

Wow, now Walmart joins Target in being one whole U.S. dime higher than the median hourly wage for retail sales workers. It's nice that they are doing it, but what does it say about what they pay their non-management employees?
    Doesn't say anything. Models are very different. We've had this discussion before, e.g. Wal Mart versus Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Doesn't say anything. Models are very different. We've had this discussion before, e.g. Wal Mart versus Home Depot.
    You and I, and I suspect most others on this board can have this discussion with a sense of detachment, because we are not about to have our wages rise from $9 to $11 per hour. Can you imagine trying to support your family on that?

http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...-stores-2018-1

Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club locations across the US, the company told Business Insider on Thursday. Some stores have already closed; others will close within weeks.
    Many employees were not informed of the closings ahead of time.
    Ten of the closed stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers.

Sam's Club has not said how many employees are losing their jobs. Each Sam's Club warehouse employs about 175 people, meaning more than 11,000 people could be impacted.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

You and I, and I suspect most others on this board can have this discussion with a sense of detachment, because we are not about to have our wages rise from $9 to $11 per hour. Can you imagine trying to support your family on that?
    A $9 to $11 dollar an hour job was never meant to raise a family on. One needs a marketable skill to sell.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Buford's exactly right. If an adult is trying to support a family at $9-$11 an hour, it's a failure - but shouldn't be laid at Wal Mart's doorstep

So they deserve to be poor and once the Republicans cut the SNAP program, they will deserve to go hungry. And the Waltons, who did little more than be born into the right family deserve to be billionaires.
    Last edited by fishingcomic; 01-12-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Yawn....

Who said I placed the blame on the person?