Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    Can we please not argue in this thread? At least not until page 4 or Comic chimes in, whichever happens first.
    Not arguing. Just saying that from what I've seen, that's the cut for anyone making over a mil.

Then please, Mike, if you will, let me know why cutting taxes on the richest of us is good policy. I can’t wrap my head around it and really want to understand the thought process.
    You all seem excited about this legislation.

Why should you want yourself, or anyone else, to pay more taxes? We always hear about tax raising and lowering. Never do we hear about spending cuts.

I don't believe in the boogey man that is the white fat cat on Wall Street. Yet that's what is always offered up every time we talk about tax cuts. Why do we support these rich guys? My boss is double taxed. He's also my father. He is one of the "rich fat cats" if you look at Obama's definition of the wealthy. Those "making" above 250k. He pays corporate AND personal income on that. It's bullshit. What's left over is just plowed back into the company anyway. He's certainly not firing up a cigar with a Benjamin. Now, I'll admit, there's personal anger felt at the checkout line when you see the fat, sorry ass slobs paying for mountains of sugar drinks and food with a gov't card. So there's my answer. Why the hell do we have to pay for someone else who can work but won't?

I know, I know. Privilege, oppression, racism.... But there can be no denial that making it easier for people to eat without lifting a finger is enabling that behavior.

Social security is a joke. How many retirees am I paying for now? What poor return will I see on that money in the future? I can manage that money far better than the gov't. But it's not just the camel's nose that's under the tent, he's come all the way inside and shitting on the fabric. Short story, tax cuts = automatic good thing, in my opinion. If we are so worried about the deficit, let's look at expenditures. Then I'll listen to that argument.

The above is not aimed at you personally, Shawn. It's just flow of consciousness from my feeble brain to my strong fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    I'm just here to talk about the child tax credit. I express no opinion regarding any other matter.
    You for it or against it?

As a parent with 4 walking disaster areas, I'm plum giddy about it.

No I get that it isn’t an attack. I’ve got to go to work now so will check in in a couple of hours when this has devolved into mud slinging and George has had to delete at least one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    Then please, Mike, if you will, let me know why cutting taxes on the richest of us is good policy. I canít wrap my head around it and really want to understand the thought process.
    You all seem excited about this legislation.
    I'm excited because I will pay less. I'll take every penny I can get.
    As to the rich. I've never agreed that the rich should have to pay more. Why is one workers paycheck worth less because that worker has busted his ass to make it to the top of his or her field? Never understood that. I know folks in the music biz and it's mind boggling the taxes they pay. Then, to add insult to injury, they get treated (by some) like they are screwing over the blue collar worker.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I'm excited because I will pay less. I'll take every penny I can get.
    As to the rich. I've never agreed that the rich should have to pay more. Why is one workers paycheck worth less because that worker has busted his ass to make it to the top of his or her field? Never understood that. I know folks in the music biz and it's mind boggling the taxes they pay. Then, to add insult to injury, they get treated (by some) like they are screwing over the blue collar worker.
    Classic class warfare in play, as well. It's as old as time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    You for it or against it?

As a parent with 4 walking disaster areas, I'm plum giddy about it.
    Definitely for it. Anything that incentivizes increasing our birthrate is a good thing. We are below replacement rate at this point. Without immigration we would be Japan or Italy.

Well tax cuts are good for the individual wallet---but less than for the collective whole---ya know that infrastructure thing etc

Unless your in favour of big debt

But hey---as long as your good today---Right?