Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Because profit. It isn’t anything complicated, Steven. I find these small “colleges,” you know the type, to be predatory in nature. They are just non-accredited profit centers. Part of me says if you are dumb enough to attend them then shame on you. Another part of me thinks the government should protect the public against these profit centers for the good of society.
    Just make post-secondary schools public or not-for-profit private entities. Just because you can add layers of profit to something doesn’t mean you should. It’s a philosophical argument just like BA said above. That’s all I got on this subject.

Ah. I thought you were commenting on rising tuition costs. That that had something to do with capitalism.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting these numbers of $100k for education, maybe Harvard.
    My son is 23 years old. He went to the University of Wyoming over Colorado State because of the cost. Tuition and rent together were the same cost as tuition only at CSU and he got to go to a much better school.
    He worked hard and graduated in 3-1/2 years, got a good job using his degree and will have his debt paid off in a few months.
    He'll be buying a home in a year.
    Too may kids these days get those loans and use the money for things other than tuition. They don't work over the breaks and are just lazy and stupid. I've seen it with a lot of his friends. I don't feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    She has a good job that she could not have got if it weren’t for her degree but she would have been better off attending the University of Utah.
    This the key to what you posted. Companies and government agencies often use a degree as an "MET" ("minimum education and training, or equivalent" requirement for many jobs. A degree is a general indication that an inexperienced candidate has the , intelligence, skills and ability to perform the requirements of the position. A candidate without one needs to demonstrate experience comparable to earning a degree.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

CO Native, Well, my wife worked 20 hours a week or more (she worked three part time jobs her senior year) and carried a minor. Graduated in 4+ 1 summer semestereven and still has $SHLOAD to pay off. Just so you can see where how it can happen. I wish you would have advised her of the perils of getting a degree in a useless field at an expensive school because nobody else did.
    As an aside, I did not know Wyoming was a better school than CSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Huh. Interesting.

The rising cost of college tuitions has far outpaced food inflation, oil inflation, car inflation. All are subject to capitalism.

What is it about capitalism that causes a problem with college tuition?
    That's an interesting question. its more political rivalry than economic theory perhaps. I think well-off parents who are willing to pay outrageous tuition for the prestige schools are a factor, as well as the easy availability of student loans. But the biggest political factor in state schools has been the shrinkage of state funding, and presently, federal funding. It should be noted that the taxation of endowment income, post docs and maybe some T.A.s (don't know) will put even more demands on state school budgets. Punishment for being liberal, I guess. To me, the greater good is making education available to those who will benefit from it and in the end benefit the country. We have a shortage of STEM graduates. Is this because we don't have enough quality students, or because many such prospects can't afford college?
    Last edited by creekguy; 01-16-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting these numbers of $100k for education, maybe Harvard.
    My son is 23 years old. He went to the University of Wyoming over Colorado State because of the cost. Tuition and rent together were the same cost as tuition only at CSU and he got to go to a much better school.
    He worked hard and graduated in 3-1/2 years, got a good job using his degree and will have his debt paid off in a few months.
    He'll be buying a home in a year.
    Too may kids these days get those loans and use the money for things other than tuition. They don't work over the breaks and are just lazy and stupid. I've seen it with a lot of his friends. I don't feel sorry for them.

That 100K number came from me. IN all honestly I made it up from what little infomration I know (my kids are 8 and 11, so I know they will need a shit ton, but I don't know how much). I have no idea where they will go to school. But I don't believe 100K is unrealistic.

After reading your post I google CUs cost and almost crapped my pants....100k wont cut it

https://bursar.colorado.edu/tuition-...rado-resident/
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean

I know a couple of folks who took out over $100K for loans, or their school cost that much or some such nonsense. OTOH, I know folks who went to state schools who paid less and got the same exact jobs.

To answer your question, Steven I don't think capitalism is the culprit. I think it's government backed student loans. That's what's driving the cost of higher education. Cheap, easily available money for anyone smart enough to fill out the application.
    Last edited by sherb; 01-16-2018 at 02:31 AM.

What Sherb said.

My kids didn't end up with $100k loans either. Seems awfully high.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZ Indicator; 01-16-2018 at 03:12 AM.