Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post
    So blame society and corporations because someone is poor?
    K-12 is free. Then get loans and get a better education and pay it off later if you don't want to work for $9-$11
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Tuition in colleges has gone way up largely because of a lack of government funding, leading students to saddle themselves with huge loans. Many are choosing not to attend and maybe sell dope instead (free market economics). In a previous time, America more efficiently utilized technical talent by keeping tuition low. The present system is a sop to the banks.

My Nephew had fantastic grades and could not get into his first choice for college. How does someone with average grades from a poorly funded public school get into college? Not all people are college material, should they live below the poverty line and not be able to live a decent life?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Both of my kids (now 25 and 26 years old) went to college after high school. They both have school loans to pay back over a 10 year period.

They are both making quite a bit more than $9-11/hour. The monthly loan payment has stayed fixed and their incomes have gone up since starting their jobs. One of my kids... the place he works for is also helping him pay back his current school loan and paying for him to attend college to advance his degree.

Sometimes you need to think long term, instead of the immediate debt you are saddled with upon graduating college.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Again not everyone is college material. Should they be doomed to a life of poverty?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    Again not everyone is college material. Should they be doomed to a life of poverty?
    Again one needs a skill to sell. No marketable skills one should not expect a high paying job.
    College is not a requirement for a good paying job.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

I didn't say high paying.

I didn't say high paying.
    You lived out here what do you consider a decent wage? It sure as hell is not $15:00 an hour.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Well it definitely is not $11. $15 would not put you in a great neighborhood or buy you a house. But it will put food on the table.

Agreed that not everyone is college material. My wife doesn't have a college degree but made choices to better herself by advancing her skillset in other areas with some training so she wouldn't have to work at jobs paying $9-$11/hour.

A degree isn't everything when it comes to future earning power...

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Indicator View Post

A degree isn't everything when it comes to future earning power...
    True, and not all degrees equate to making a lot of cash. Case in point is my SIL. She has a masters I believe in recreation. Shes 43 years old, still paying off student loans for it, never worked a day in that field in her life and makes about $16 per hour. A total waste of time and money.

Its great people want to go to college, but to rack up a 100k of student loans on a degree at fancy schools and have a job paying 50k a year and pay off student loans for it for years seems nuts to me.

I think its a shame we no longer have trade schools. Would serve a lot of people well IMO.
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean