Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    The spending is largely defense, social security and Medicare.

See: https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/

Good pie charts.
    Social Security and Medicare are funded by separate taxes, that would be more taking from Joe Sixpack to give to Richie Rich.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Classic class warfare in play, as well. It's as old as time.
    Nobody in the upper 1% are suffering under the current tax code and not everyone that is rich busted their ass to get there. Trump being the best example of that.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Why should you want yourself, or anyone else, to pay more taxes? We always hear about tax raising and lowering. Never do we hear about spending cuts.

I don't believe in the boogey man that is the white fat cat on Wall Street. Yet that's what is always offered up every time we talk about tax cuts. Why do we support these rich guys? My boss is double taxed. He's also my father. He is one of the "rich fat cats" if you look at Obama's definition of the wealthy. Those "making" above 250k. He pays corporate AND personal income on that. It's bullshit. What's left over is just plowed back into the company anyway. He's certainly not firing up a cigar with a Benjamin. Now, I'll admit, there's personal anger felt at the checkout line when you see the fat, sorry ass slobs paying for mountains of sugar drinks and food with a gov't card. So there's my answer. Why the hell do we have to pay for someone else who can work but won't?

I know, I know. Privilege, oppression, racism.... But there can be no denial that making it easier for people to eat without lifting a finger is enabling that behavior.

Social security is a joke. How many retirees am I paying for now? What poor return will I see on that money in the future? I can manage that money far better than the gov't. But it's not just the camel's nose that's under the tent, he's come all the way inside and shitting on the fabric. Short story, tax cuts = automatic good thing, in my opinion. If we are so worried about the deficit, let's look at expenditures. Then I'll listen to that argument.

Did you ever wonder how many of those food stamp users actually work fulltime jobs? What kind of retirement do you think they will be able to save for?

It's not just welfare. That's just indicative of the largesse. It's the most visible example. Nobody here has any idea the amount of waste that goes on in federal spending.

Do you guys really believe there is nothing we can cut? That we are so close to the verge of complete ruin that we cannot even consider cutting taxes and spending?

I've already said that we can cut on the favorite whipping boy of the left: military. Now which one of your sacred cows can we cut next? As suspected, the infrastructure argument came up. Fire, public works, roads. Yeah, I'm all for supporting those. I obviously use them. But transportation is like 2% of the budget. Let's talk about those larger sections of federal spending.

Finally, it's not about the measly dollars I may get back in tax refunds. And
    Mark this day on the calendar-----they'll cut taxes but wasteful spending will keep going------the debt just grows----as well as fat cat wallets

Quote Originally Posted by Bushart View Post
    Also---here's a biggie to the argument if so----Welfare in my country is distributed at the municipal level----disability at provincial---so is welfare a local level there? (and tax thereof)

These cuts bending you over are Federal
    Medicaid and other income-dependent services are distributed by states or lower level entities like counties and municipalities, but the funding is largely federal.

Buffy: Would you be happier were we to cut out several layers of bureaucracy and have these programs operated directly by the feds.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Here's an idea. Every able bodied male that is on gov't assistance will be required to obtain successful employment. However, when said male is not out hunting for a job, he will, Monday through Friday, be required to show up to my farm and pull weeds, clear fence rows, or whatever else I need to get done.

If there is no work to be done, then they go to a building in the middle of town and sit there from 8 to 5. I don't get to sit on MY ass all day. Why should they?
    This seems to be one of the mantras of the conservative movement, worry about what everyone else is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenladle View Post
    This seems to be one of the mantras of the conservative movement, worry about what everyone else is doing.
    Yeah, well, they're doing it with my money.

Yeah, well, they're doing it with my money.
    Stop whining. Georgia gets more federal money from other states' taxpayers than you and the other welfare recipients in (AKA "residents of") Georgia send to Washington. You mostly have Texas and New England to thank for supporting you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenladle View Post
    Not to mention govt assistance does not go to able bodied males. It goes to feed children and the majority of snap benefits go to people that work full time minimum wage jobs. But we can't raise the minimum wage. I guess they just shouldn't be able to eat.