Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    No, it's about ME taking care of my own tomorrow. All I was ever taught was focusing on my means at retirement age.

I sacrifice a lot today so I can live comfortably tomorrow. The more taxes I pay, the less I'm able to do that.

Sucks for the beggars, but the only thing this wealth redistribution commie b.s. serves to do is make us all more equally poor. There are still beggars, by the way.
    Those tax dollars involve more than Beggars

Ya want roads...bridges...medicare...defense.....aid for disaster relief.....science advancements....environmental clean-up---power dams----coast guard---fighting fires in say California...etc...you get it....it's not all welfare no matter what Fox News says

If you can honestly say you can live without those conveniences---by all means---don't pay tax

I'm not a huge deficit worrier, Jim. Its just that most of you guys apparently are, until you are not. I'm just raising the point. But given the options I do believe that tax-and-spend is a lot better than don't tax-and-spend.

All in all this goes against my grain but I have to admit I have larger concerns such as reductions in national monuments, environmental deregulation and keeping protections for workers. And I really, really, really want single payer.

Also, I'm not sure I'm going to be paying less taxes with these changes. Not because I'm wealthy (at all) but because we have no children.

I think you guys have been bought off. You (and I, perhaps) may get a few hundred dollars more in our pockets to spend as the super-rich continue to get more and more breaks. But if you are not worried about wage stagnation and increasing wealth disparity then I'm not going to hold it against you. We all have different priorities.

Thank you for your honest answers even if Sherb completely pussied out on giving his opinion. #draglessdrift

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    I'm not a huge deficit worrier, Jim. Its just that most of you guys apparently are, until you are not. I'm just raising the point. But given the options I do believe that tax-and-spend is a lot better than don't tax-and-spend.

All in all this goes against my grain but I have to admit I have larger concerns such as reductions in national monuments, environmental deregulation and keeping protections for workers. And I really, really, really want single payer.

Also, I'm not sure I'm going to be paying less taxes with these changes. Not because I'm wealthy (at all) but because we have no children.

I think you guys have been bought off. You (and I, perhaps) may get a few hundred dollars more in our pockets to spend as the super-rich continue to get more and more breaks. But if you are not worried about wage stagnation and increasing wealth disparity then I'm not going to hold it against you. We all have different priorities.

Thank you for your honest answers even if Sherb completely pussied out on giving his opinion. #draglessdrift
    Ya mean ya don't want the Chinese calling in their loan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushart View Post
    Those tax dollars involve more than Beggars

Ya want roads...bridges...medicare...defense.....aid for disaster relief.....science advancements....environmental clean-up---power dams----coast guard---fighting fires in say California...etc...you get it....it's not all welfare no matter what Fox News says

If you can honestly say you can live without those conveniences---by all means---don't pay tax
    Ok, now you got me fired up (it doesn't take much these days!). These big-government hating Mormons here in Utah sure love them some government funded U.S. Forest Service fire fighting aircraft this summer when South Ogden was on fire. Man, they loved that shit. A bag of marshmallows is a lot cheaper.

Also---here's a biggie to the argument if so----Welfare in my country is distributed at the municipal level----disability at provincial---so is welfare a local level there? (and tax thereof)

These cuts bending you over are Federal

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    Ok, now you got me fired up (it doesn't take much these days!). These big-government hating Mormons here in Utah sure love them some government funded U.S. Forest Service fire fighting aircraft this summer when South Ogden was on fire. Man, they loved that shit. A bag of marshmallows is a lot cheaper.
    Yes their alternative can come from our history books---where families escaped massive fires by diving into the local river-----this shit just does'nt appear---we don't work for nothing---neither does anybody else

Also, we tried this approach in Kansas. That was a disaster. Oh well. I guess the "laboratories of democracy" are only a real thing when they support your point.

It's not just welfare. That's just indicative of the largesse. It's the most visible example. Nobody here has any idea the amount of waste that goes on in federal spending.

Do you guys really believe there is nothing we can cut? That we are so close to the verge of complete ruin that we cannot even consider cutting taxes and spending?

I've already said that we can cut on the favorite whipping boy of the left: military. Now which one of your sacred cows can we cut next? As suspected, the infrastructure argument came up. Fire, public works, roads. Yeah, I'm all for supporting those. I obviously use them. But transportation is like 2% of the budget. Let's talk about those larger sections of federal spending.

Finally, it's not about the measly dollars I may get back in tax refunds. And

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    It's not just welfare. That's just indicative of the largesse. It's the most visible example. Nobody here has any idea the amount of waste that goes on in federal spending.

Do you guys really believe there is nothing we can cut? That we are so close to the verge of complete ruin that we cannot even consider cutting taxes and spending?

I've already said that we can cut on the favorite whipping boy of the left: military. Now which one of your sacred cows can we cut next? As suspected, the infrastructure argument came up. Fire, public works, roads. Yeah, I'm all for supporting those. I obviously use them. But transportation is like 2% of the budget. Let's talk about those larger sections of federal spending.

Finally, it's not about the measly dollars I may get back in tax refunds. And
    The spending is largely defense, social security and Medicare.

See: https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/

Good pie charts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    If you call 2.6% huge, my boss would love to have you as an employee.
    What is 2.6% of a million?

Funny how when they give you a 2.6% raise, you are supposed to think that is huge.

In either case just like when W did this, it will not result in added jobs, better pay, or more growth. And just as it has since Reagan it will widen the wealth gap and double the national debt.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan