Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Bambi says to Thumper

So Bambi says to Thumper

(Behind the deer---look for ears n eyes)

And One for Buffster

mine was sleeping

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Nice...gun or bow?

Humour an old deer guide....was he 1/4'n away on ya when ya hit him?

See you don't have snow---temps are gettin cold now---my deer are still as all season strictly nocturnal

rifle

.270wsm with 140gr accubonds

he was 80 yards downhill, through fairly thick saplings and branches......i had one 3' window between the big trees, still a lot of scrap in between us......so entry looked far back and high, but i'll show the exit.....i actually played the hill and the angle pretty well......dropped in his tracks

you can see the exit in this one:

he came in from my left, i was up on the side of a hardwood knob.....he paralleled a tiny stream

5' from entering the open onto a skidder trail, and he must have decided stepping into the open at 8am into the sunlight wasn't a cool idea (i had watched him coming for 100 yards and 2-3 minutes.....)

he went back along his exact path.......i picked that one opening, slid back onto him while he was in the thick stuff to get my height, brought crosshairs back to opening and waited for him to show up......entered 2/3 of way back. 3" below spine.....came out at heart level, tucked in perfect behind opposite shoulder......liquified most of one lunch, took out the top of the other.....

and he's tasty

19" spread, only a 2.5 year old......big hoof, 158lbs......he was hammering trees in the area, i had found 4 rubs the previous monday in a line running up the skidder trail....but i couldn't hunt there that night because of the wind (i usually hunt the other side of the knob, on another funnel into the field)

went up north that weekend.....got back in there the next monday, found a new rub in the line, assumed he was still alive....hunted monday night and nothing

got back in there tuesday AM (wife convinced me to take the day off).....he came in at 8

when my buddy came to help drag, found 3-4 more smaller rubs he made between monday dark and tuesday sun up

this was on voting day.......maine is one and done, so i can't get back out on deer until a couple days after christmas, blackpowder in MA with my dad

dad got a little 4 that went 188 up north on his last day, 2 days after i got this

That's good that the wife talked ya into it---he's a nice buck
    I was wonderin about that hole in the 1st pic---was thinkin it did look small for an exit

Again my deer are night hawks right now----I let a couple does go in rifle----bow right now

Talkin ammo---I use a 30-06 for many moons---one thing I found out ---ammo makers are not created equal----my accuracy since I went Hornady (150gr)----big difference

Congrats Again Man-----good luck in black powder

Nice bucks. I'm envious.

Another doe n fawn tonite Buff

Tellin ya gonna need night vision soon

Doing better than me. I haven't even seen a deer in the woods. In 2 seasons.

Got him---eleventh hour mind you

before and after---courtesy my trail cam mind you

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]