Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and Prayers for southern Ca

Thoughts and Prayers for southern Ca

Hard to watch some of the videos and slideshows. I hope they get it under control soon but the forecast looks bad, real bad.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/cal...ood-wildfires/

The loss of life is horrifying, the loss of people's properties tragic. I hope a complete disaster can be avoided.

I understand that many people do not have the luxury of choosing where to live. But it is no secret that much of California and nearby states is a fire zone waiting to happen at any time, that much of the West Coast lies on fault lines, that the East, South and Midwest are riddled with flood zones and that the South and East coasts are prone to hurricane and other storm damage. So why do people build where they shouldn't and then rebuild on the same spot over and over after predictable natural destruction?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Its that chaparral. That stuff burns like gasoline.

There's a mountain pass right in the city of LA. The 405 freeway runs through it. Hard to get away from the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    The loss of life is horrifying, the loss of people's properties tragic. I hope a complete disaster can be avoided.

I understand that many people do not have the luxury of choosing where to live. But it is no secret that much of California and nearby states is a fire zone waiting to happen at any time, that much of the West Coast lies on fault lines, that the East, South and Midwest are riddled with flood zones and that the South and East coasts are prone to hurricane and other storm damage. So why do people build where they shouldn't and then rebuild on the same spot over and over after predictable natural destruction?
    Dunno about the fires, but here close to hurricane territory, the risk is actually not all that great. Look at last year. Irma downed power lines, messed up some property, but within a few weeks it was back to normal, save the cleanup. If Florida was hit every year by an Andrew, it would be different. But we look forward to hurricanes, as they bring much-needed rain, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post

I don't think all of us can fit into Montana and Idaho.

Most Californians think that when we watch a Malibu mansion fall into the ocean.

But that 405 corridor does not have much of a history of fires.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    Its that chaparral. That stuff burns like gasoline.

There's a mountain pass right in the city of LA. The 405 freeway runs through it. Hard to get away from the fires.
    I was curious about what the vegetation was that was burning. Why is there no fire mitigation around housing areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Dunno about the fires, but here close to hurricane territory, the risk is actually not all that great. Look at last year. Irma downed power lines, messed up some property, but within a few weeks it was back to normal, save the cleanup. If Florida was hit every year by an Andrew, it would be different. But we look forward to hurricanes, as they bring much-needed rain, usually.
    I was thinking of coastal properties on or near the water that have been destroyed and rebuilt - often with taxpayer assistance - multiple times. I have distant relatives who have rebuilt a house on the same waterfront site near Pensacola twice in recent years after hurricanes. I believe Texas finally tired of rebuilding private beaches and passed a law saying that owners of private houses that wind up below the high water mark may not prevent public access through what was formerly their land.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    I was curious about what the vegetation was that was burning. Why is there no fire mitigation around housing areas?
    Wind, wind, and more wind! If its at 80 mph, you don't have to have much vegetation around to keep it going. Its mitigation, not prevention. I am surprised that you would ask that, you coming from Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    Money. Same reason people don't want to spend extra on building houses that are somewhat resistant to catching fire from embers.

I'd guess they also don't want to look a giant fire break, but cities are hardly natural, so an extension of city's boundary in the form of a break or a thinned forest with little in the way of an understory shouldn't be a problem.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    Wind, wind, and more wind! If its at 80 mph, you don't have to have much vegetation around to keep it going. Its mitigation, not prevention. I am surprised that you would ask that, you coming from Colorado.
    Fire mitigation saved our cabin from a fire while others around ours burned to the ground. Being prepared makes a huge difference. I would think that cleaning up around a subdivision wouldn't be too tough.