Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 113

Thread: So happy I no longer live near that loney bin

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by jbilly View Post
    I saw that statement and I didn't think they could throw out an option for the lower charge like that.
    Maybe with any luck, he'll get picked up by the feds and then disappear when on his way back to south of the border.

  2. #32
    Senior Member swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westworld
    Posts
    2,455
    No. He'll get a book deal and go on a signing tour. The book will be titled "Que Paso".
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

  3. #33
    Senior Member swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westworld
    Posts
    2,455
    Anyway, at one point early in the investigation he said he was seal hunting and actually kicked the gun in the water after it went off. Prolly good that he changed that story. That sounds innocent enough for me.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lakewood co
    Posts
    3,847
    It was also in California that a jury acquitted the officers who beat Rodney King over and over in that video. Law and order Conservatives liked that. The fact is, the founders chose to use the jury of peers system, with the obvious chances of lousy results. Some here want to assume things about the jury which they are in fact totally ignorant of.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C. View Post
    I’m surprised to read of the acquittal. She must have had Skittles in her pocket.
    I'll be back to comment later when I have more time, but I wanted to give some props for this post.

  6. #36
    Senior Member fishingcomic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    20,741
    Quote Originally Posted by creekguy View Post
    It was also in California that a jury acquitted the officers who beat Rodney King over and over in that video. Law and order Conservatives liked that. The fact is, the founders chose to use the jury of peers system, with the obvious chances of lousy results. Some here want to assume things about the jury which they are in fact totally ignorant of.
    They are also totally ignorant of the evidence presented. The only thing they know is he is a Mexican and therefore must die.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    A couple of comments.

    1. The ricochet was deadly to the prosecution's case. It completely changes the intent requirements. One that was established, it was pretty much over.

    2. No judge in America would allow evidence of illegal reentry to be considered in a homicide prosecution. Its totally irrelevant, and its prejudicial effect substantially outweighs any probative value it might have.

    3. There's a jury instruction out there--I'm not sure if California uses it although I'm sure they have a version of it--that says in essence that if the killing occurred due to a mistake or accident there's no criminal liability.

    I'm not that surprised. I hate the sanctuary city idea, But I think the remedy is to remove the County Sheriff. A trial was always going to be a tough sell.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,189
    I'm happy for you guys on the left. This was a giant win, and big F you to everyone who wants our border, and the citizens that live within it protected. Congrats.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I'm happy for you guys on the left. This was a giant win, and big F you to everyone who wants our border, and the citizens that live within it protected. Congrats.
    I'm quite certain the citizens of San Francisco want murders prosecuted. The two issues are only tangentially related, in that the defendant never should have been there in the first place. Doesn't make him guilty of murder.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    I'm quite certain the citizens of San Francisco want murders prosecuted. The two issues are only tangentially related, in that the defendant never should have been there in the first place. Doesn't make him guilty of murder.
    I understand your point Sherb. But the law has to be enforced ALWAYS if you expect people to respect it and abide by it. Surely you understand that frustration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •