Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Islay single malts

Islay single malts

You guys like the peaty scotches? I️ have developed a real affinity for them as of late.

I pretty much stuck to the Lowland scotches and the odd Highland (Oban). Never developed a taste for the real peaty stuff.

Mike
    Last edited by ricinus; 11-15-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

I've only had one peaty scotch, that being Black Grouse. If that even counts. I loved that kind of flavor but my wife said it tasted like dirty socks mixed with dead leaves so we haven't bought it since.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    You guys like the peaty scotches? I️ have developed a real affinity for them as of late.
    My two favorite affordable (under $40 in DC) malts are Laphroig and Ardbeg ten year olds. The older ones from those distilleries are smoother and at times more complex but lose much of their smoky peatiness. I also like Lagavulin 16 but it's too expensive for me to drink regularly. We were in Scotland in August and September and the first stop after Edinburgh (to see the Tattoo) was Islay, where we visited the above three distilleries. Two to avoid, IMO, are Laphroig Select - tastes like watered-down ten year old - and Lagavulin eight year old - harsh and raw.

Not an Islay whisky and neither smoky nor peaty, but I discovered a new malt to love on this trip, Craigellachie 13 year old. It's the malt that puts the backbone in Dewer's 12 year old blended whisky. It's hard to describe, but earthy and complex, with a long lasting finish comes close. It may take some searching to find here. I was lucky to get a liter at the duty free in Toronto on the way back from Scotland.

I used to add an ice cube or a bit of water but for the past year or two have been taking malts neat. The tasting glasses you get to keep with distillery tours really do concentrate the aromas and flavors. All the distilleries I visited used Glencairn glasses or something very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+tasting+glass
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

At a recent birthday party I had a taste of 25 or 30 year old Laphroig. It was like a $2k bottle that his brothers bought him. I had a very small taste and it reminded me of what a campfire runoff would taste like. So not a fan.
    I prefer Glenfiddich which is pretty mild. Local martini bar here makes a drink called Smoke on the Water that uses a bit of the Laphroig and it's really good.

A former friend had offered me some Laphroig single barrel. That was tasty. But peaty scotch is something you should ease into. I had a Talisker once and found it just awful. I am thinking of getting into high end tequilas.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    At a recent birthday party I had a taste of 25 or 30 year old Laphroig. It was like a $2k bottle that his brothers bought him. I had a very small taste and it reminded me of what a campfire runoff would taste like. So not a fan.
    I prefer Glenfiddich which is pretty mild. Local martini bar here makes a drink called Smoke on the Water that uses a bit of the Laphroig and it's really good.
    A whisky that age or older can either be superb or have absorbed so much flavor from the barrels it's aged in that you mostly taste wood. It's a crap shoot. A lot of the very expensive prices for rare bottles are driven by collectors who would never open it and destroy its collectability and resale value.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I'm glad you mentioned 10 year Ardbeg, George. One of my personal favorites

Quote Originally Posted by fishingcomic View Post
    I am thinking of getting into high end tequilas.
    Anejos and Reposados, only, I would hope.

I mostly alternate between bourbon, rye and tequila.

Caol Illa 12 & 18 are solid
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com