Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enough politics. How about a Book thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    When I was a kid I loved the Louis L`amour westerns. C. J. Box followed that up with a more adult oriented set of books about a Wyoming game warden. I just finished that set, so I'm looking.
    I've heard good things about Beneath a Scarlet Sky and will probably pick that up at the library this weekend.
    CJ Box has a great book of fiction out about a real thing: a legal dead zone where no one can be prosecuted for federal crimes, because there's no jurors that live in the district, so there's no venue for a trial. Its a cool story.

The most recent book I read was "the Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis. Its a strange little book with a very original premise, but engaging in its own way.

I bumped Hillbilly Elegy for another book that kept showing up on list called One Second After. Fiction about a small NC town after an EMP strike does what EMP strikes do. About 5 chapters in now and it's still interesting. A little predictable, but still a fun book so far.

Hillbilly elegy was a very self reflective book for me. I suspect anyone reading this might feel the same.

I am reading that new book "fire and Fury" about the Trump administration. Entertaining, for sure, but I'm not entirely certain how credible some of the author's claims are.

I think I'll pass on that one. Listening to the Tapper and Miller interview now.

Another Trumpism, Sloppy Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    I am reading that new book "fire and Fury" about the Trump administration. Entertaining, for sure, but I'm not entirely certain how credible some of the author's claims are.
    It's on my list too, but I think I'll wait until it's remaindered or used ones hit Amazon or the used book sites. I have too many other books stacked-up to buy it right now.

You mentioned The Screwtape Letters above. When I was confirmed our (Episcopalian) Bishop gave each of us a copy. I didn't get much out of it at age 12, but perhaps I should reread it now.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by sherb View Post
    You mean like how sources in the WH were saying Ivanka is dumber than a brick and our President is like a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mt Boy View Post
    You mean like how sources in the WH were saying Ivanka is dumber than a brick and our President is like a child?
    The book sets up and details a three way power struggle between Priebus as the establishment republican, Jared Kushner and Ivanka as the reluctant business friendly democrats, and Bannon as the alt-right economic nationalist, with all three factions vying for power. Trump impatience with detail and his seeming complete and utter lack of any priorities or beliefs allowed this environment to flourish.