Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And Pour a Sip

And Pour a Sip

For Connie Hawkins.

Before there was LeBron.
    Before there was Michael.
    Before there was Dr. J.

There was Connie Hawkins

Falsely accused of participating in the 1961 College Point Shaving Scandal, he was expelled from Iowa and banned by the NBA (despite the fact he was a freshman and couldn't even play varsity games). He was grilled by NYC cops and not allowed representation. Moreover, it's likely he suffered from then undiagnosed learning disabilities. He was completely illiterate and didn't understand what was going on.

American Basketball League MVP.
    Globetrotter (which he despised).
    American Basketball Association champion, MVP of championship series, MVP regular season.
    Won a $1.3 million judgment against the NBA and allowed into the league.
    Played for the Suns, Lakers, and Hawks - Four time All-Star.

His co-written autobiography, Foul, was a NYT best seller

Greatest player ever out of the New York school yards.

Sip poured.

But, and this is aimed not at him but at "college sports" - how does someone who is completely illiterate get into a university in the first place?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Sip poured. That's quite a story..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    Sip poured.

But, and this is aimed not at him but at "college sports" - how does someone who is completely illiterate get into a university in the first place?
    Because he was such a good player. He could dunk by the time he was 11. He was the #1 high school player in America. He was just moved along from jr. high to high to college. Nobody gave a shit.

He grew up in Bed-Stuy (my mother's neighborhood) and played for Boys High in Williamsburg (both my father - junior varsity- and my grandfather -varsity- played for Boys). At the time my father played for Boys, to be varsity, you had to be able to dunk - no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Because he was such a good player. He could dunk by the time he was 11. He was the #1 high school player in America. He was just moved along from jr. high to high to college. Nobody gave a shit.

He grew up in Bed-Stuy (my mother's neighborhood) and played for Boys High in Williamsburg (both my father - junior varsity- and my grandfather -varsity- played for Boys). At the time my father played for Boys, to be varsity, you had to be able to dunk - no exceptions.
    OK, that should get him into the NBA, but how does an illiterate person get into a university if there is even a sliver of truth in the idea of "college sports"? Or are all college sports nothing more than shams, minor leagues in all but name for the pro sports that do not have their own minor leagues?

p.s. My favorite sweatshirt is from my son's grad school - "Emory Football - Still Undefeated".
    Last edited by George K; 10-10-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Not all college sports, but the major college sports are big business. Hell, Rick Pitino just got busted in a bribery scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by George K View Post
    It' still common today and not surprising at all.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nca...res/index.html

There's a recurring joke at UC Berkeley that Chuck Munson's still trying to pass English 1A, and he was a J.C. Transfer. Almost all universities (including Cal) have a clause in their entrance standards which allow a small number (usually athletes, but also artists, etc,) to enter with sub-standard grades and/or S.A.T. scores.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by magalloway View Post
    There's a recurring joke at UC Berkeley that Chuck Munson's still trying to pass English 1A, and he was a J.C. Transfer. Almost all universities (including Cal) have a clause in their entrance standards which allow a small number (usually athletes, but also artists, etc,) to enter with sub-standard grades and/or S.A.T. scores.

Jim
    At Trump U. it was for Artistes.

p.s. I felt a great disturbance in the Force this evening. Turns out the Donald was an hour away in Harrisburg.

Quote Originally Posted by magalloway View Post

Jim
    Hah. That was the late Chuck Muncie - HOF running back for the Chargers. The story, when I was at Cal, was that it took him six quarters to pass English 10 (remedial English) which he needed to pass just to take English 1.

Jason Kidd - likely Hall of Famer and Milwaukee Buck head coach - supposedly never passed English 10. He took it four semesters (Cal switched to semesters in the early 80s), failed, and went pro after his sophomore year.