Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ken Burns' 'Vietnam'

Quote Originally Posted by EdB View Post
    Where are those guys discussing it?
    On Facebook.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

I'll have to check into that. I use a NPR app for my local station, but it quickly eats up my data plan on the phone.

I've been watching old TV shows and few new shows by hunting around for "free tv online."
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

I watched an episode the night before last. It covered 1966-1967. Very well done but I'm going to continue watching at a slow, measured pace. It is hard to take the brutality of what we did like the indiscriminate killing of civilians for the sake of the all important body count--dead civilians being tossed into piles like logwood. It is sad to listen to the interviews of servicemen who wanted to go to Vietnam for patriotic and noble purposes and once there realized what was going on and that the civilians were simply caught in the middle. The amount of bombs we dropped on that country, which dwarfs the bombing in both theaters of WW2, is staggering. The treatment of our captured airmen was horrible. It is good that Ken Burns made this documentary and I will continue to watch it, but in small doses and not right before bedtime.
    Last edited by Green Mt Boy; 09-22-2017 at 12:46 PM.

I find the interviews with the Viet Cong interesting. Especially the one where the guy was marveling at the fact that our troops mourned and cared for their comrades just as he and his comrades did.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

The last couple of episodes have been pretty rough for me, not only watching the fruitless, unending slaughter of both sides and civilians, but watching phalanges of helmeted, blue-shirted pigs beat American citizens at Daly's order and then the Ohio National Guard shoot into an unarmed crowd. The surprise of the series for me has been that Richard Nixon was not just a venal, foul-mouthed, lying SOB, but he also committed treason by persuading the South Vietnamese to pull out of the Paris Peace Talks just before the 1968 election by promising the premier that he (Nixon) could get them a better deal. Johnson had him dead to rights, but couldn't confront him without admitting that we had bugs in the South Vietnamese embassy and presidential palace.

Jim

Addendum: Tonight's episode revealed that McGovern tried the same damn thing. It seems that treason is only prosecuted on those who aren't high government officials.
    Last edited by magalloway; 09-28-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Johnson was a tragic figure - in the sense of classic Greek tragedy - Nixon was nothing more than a pile of scum sucking shit. (Pond scum, that is. I durst not suggest that our Beloved Leader had any sexually deviant tendencies.)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.